- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
Before, During and After a Storm
What are weather events or climate changes? They are natural time variations that occur in the atmosphere, such as: wind, clouds precipitation, rain, snow, and hail. They mainly come from variations in temperature and density of the air from one place to another. The wind that comes from areas of colder air (more dense) to areas of warmer air (more dilated and weighs less).
Some atmospheric phenomena produce catastrophic effects. Cyclones cause devastating effects due to wind and water. Tornadoes are very destructive because of the wind speed that reaches 500 km / h, updrafts reach 300 km / h and the pressure drops suddenly, causing the eruption of the buildings. Storms cause thousands of deaths and huge economic losses annually.
The tropical storm Debby is the first storm to enter the Gulf of Mexico in the 2012 season. Debby made damages, starting by interrupting 25% of oil and natural gas from the Gulf of Mexico, while large sector operators such as BP and Shell evacuated workers from offshore platforms that were in the path of the storm. The Gulf of Mexico is home to 20% of the pumping of oil and about 6% of natural gas production in the United States.
Climate changes, in many cases, make us blind by frustration and other negative emotions that make our perceptions unreliable. Nature has always worked in favor of human beings, from there (I guess) comes the saying of: "After the storm comes the calm". I understand that climate changes produce harm in many aspects and after it happens there is so much to rebuild or fix. I also believe that God is in control.
We can not prevent weather nor spiritual climate changes, but we can be prepare in an active way, not passive. I invite you to keep reading the comparison of natural weather storms and spiritual storms; the understanding or acceptance by faith in the scriptures quoted to know what I am exposing.
Signs of storms
As in the earth, wind and water are predictable before a climate change attacks us; our spiritual being also is affected by our earthly life. Our spiritual life is affected coming from variations in our ways of searching God.
Signs of spiritual storms could come by any means such as: a temptation from a weakness, a dark page in a chapter of our life, a lost family, a divorce, by being abandoned, a physical illness, health conditions, financial problems, family complications, or even dealing with guilt.
Whichever storm we are struggling with, we have to deal with it one way or the other.
Before a storm
We always need to be prepared before, not during nor after a storm. We should have things prepared such as:
- A family plan
- Vehicles with fuel
- Updated supply list
- Enough cash on hand
- At least 3 gallons of water per person on hand
The same preparation should take place in our spiritual life. Before a natural spiritual battle, normal earth living emotional storm strikes us we should follow God's Words:
- Matthew 7:24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Avoid every kind of evil."
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has come upon you except that of the children of men, but God is faithful, who shall not allow you to be tempted more than whatever you are able, but shall make an exit for your temptation, so that you can endure."
During a storm
During a storm or climate change we ought to do everything to be protected.
- Staying inside, away from windows and doors
- Telephones and electrical appliances should not be used
- Monitor local radio and television stations
Our spiritual life is covered at this moment, during the storm...which I dare say even more than we think. Re read these verses, learn them and live by them:
- Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
- Matthew 5:7 "for we are living a life of faith, and not one of sight."
- Ephesians 5:14 " for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you."
- Galatians 6:9 "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
- Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
After a storm
After a storm perhaps there are damages around to deal with; we still need to stay safe by:
- Awareness of hazards from exposed nails and broken glass
- Not to touch downed power lines
- Use a flashlight rather than a candle
- Leave the house immediately if you smell gas or burn odor
After a spiritual storm I really pray that all of us could sing like David and many others the song in Psalm 18: 1 "I love you, O LORD, my strength."
- 1 Peter 5:10 "After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you."
- Romans 8: "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us."
- 2 Corinthians 1:3 - 4 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."
Storms come with variations of intensity; weak and strong. They may come our way continually, uninterrupted or leaving space of time in between. Either way, we must be prepared for them.
I don't know about you, but I have thanked God for a rain that came with a storm the night before. Hurricane Hugo in 1989 made me have my little daughter. In 2009 my retirement went wrong but I had time to take care of my mother when she was receiving her first months of therapies. Good things can come from the storms in our lives. We must have faith in God that He is in control and will take care of us.
Accept another invitation to watch the video below as you gain hope and think about your storm plans...home and spiritual.
Blessings to all!
© Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill
© 2012 Maria Magdalena Ruiz O'Farrill