Begin Your Goal Setting Plan - Take YOUR Place at the Top
The Top of the Heap
Did you know that only 3% of the people in our society are goal setters who have a plan for their life and know where they are headed?
Are you one of those 3%?
Or are you one of the 97% who do not have goals or have goals but have not followed through to their completion?
There are several groups of people with regard to goal setting.
- Clueless - these are the people who are totally unaware of the life changing power of setting goals.
- Conscious but inactive - this group knows about how important it is to set goals and want to learn more, but they have not activated any plan.
- Conscious and active - these folks are aware of the power and are working on setting up a goals plan.
- Autopilot goal setters (aka "movers and shakers") - this is that top 3% who have bought into the power and have implemented their plan to the point that it has become a way of life.
Definition of a GOAL: A Goal is a need, want, inspired idea, or desire that you intentionally plan to fulfill.
The whole process of setting goals helps you to be aware of where you are in your personal life plan. You do this on purpose and intentionally. When you start planning your life and living your plan, you will be happier, healthier, and more successful. It is proven.
Characteristics of Good Goals
What is a "good" goal?
In order for a goal to be effective, it must have certain characteristics that will affect change. You can conceivably set goals that don't affect change because they don't work for you. Why?
First, the goal must be your own. It can't be someone else's plan or someone else's expectation for you to change. Your wife or husband can't set your goals. Your boss can't set your goals. Your mentor can't set your goals.
Second, it should be morally right and fair to everyone. Remember, if you help enough people get what they want, you will get what you want. Your goals need to be character building.
Third, it must be attainable. While you want to stretch your parameters beyond your comfort zone, you don't want to make your objectives so lofty that you can't reach them. This will only discourage you and place you back on the "couch of do nothing."
Fourth, it must be written down. This is really the key. Write down your goals and add a date for completion. You should visit your goal list daily and keep a journal of activities you are doing toward completion of the goal.
Fifth, it should evoke excitement and emotion as you move toward it. The very reason you are setting the goal is so that you will improve your attitude and lifestyle. As you move in a positive direction, get excited about where you are going.
Goal setting is an emotional process. Get involved in your own journey to the point that the journey is as important as reaching the final destination.
Brian Tracy is one of the most respected teachers and coaches in the motivational market. His techniques are simple and actionable.
Benefits of Goal Setting
As mentioned above, the journey is an important part of the whole process. It is what changes your life with respect to your work ethic, your attitude, and your entire outlook on life. Here is a short list of the ways setting goals will begin to change your life and your lifestyle:
- You will know more and have more (materially, physically, spiritually, and emotionally)
- You will use your thinking skills and other talents more fully.
- You will finally have a purpose and direction in life.
- You will make better decisions.
- You will be much more organized, thus you will be more effective with your time and energy.
- You will accomplish much more than you ever did before.
- You will have greater self-worth and confidence.
- You will feel more fulfilled.
- You will build more meaningful relationships.
- You will be more enthusiastic and motivated.
That's a pretty impressive list of change.
Don't you think it's time to get started?
Where to find our more
- Resolve to Beat Procrastination - What is the Cure for Procrastination?
It's our theme. But I don't want to be a member of that club. I am there by default. I have studied some of the most successful goal setting methods on the planet over the past 20+ years, and guess what - I'm...
- Zig Ziglar - Seminars on CD and MP3
Zig Ziglar FREE audio clips. Hear powerful segments from Zig Ziglars best-selling motivational audio programs including Goals and Sell Your Way to the Top.
- Brian Tracy - Master of Self Management
Brian Tracy is one of America's leading authorities on the development of human potential and personal effectiveness.