Christmas Activities for ESL Students
ESL Christmas Activities
Naughty or Nice Christmas Questionnaire (Pre-intermediate)
Were you naughty or nice this year? Ask your friends these questions to see if they were good or bad. Don’t forget to say how often when answering (always, often, sometimes, usually, hardly ever, never)
- Were you nice to your friends and family?
- Did you clean your room?
- Did you say any bad words?
- Did you brush your teeth?
- Did you do your homework?
- Did you chew gum in class?
- Were you kind to your teacher?
- Did you wash the dishes?
- Did you take out the rubbish?
- Did you argue with your friends?
- Did you steal?
- Did you lie?
- Did you cheat during school tests?
- Did you say thank you?
- Were you a good friend?
Vocabulary Quiz (Pre-intermediate)
Here is a Christmas quiz for your students.
Alternatively, you could give them the answers and ask them to form questions instead.
- You usually put this on top of a Christmas tree.
- A Christmas dessert made from fruit which you set on fire.
- The animals that work for Father Christmas.
- A colour associated with this holiday.
- You hang these on the fireplace to put presents into.
- In countries where there is snow you build one of these.
- Where does Santa Claus get into your house?
- A bird you normally eat at Christmas?
- Colourful things you put around your house.
- What do you put on a Christmas tree?
- When is Christmas Day?
- When is New Year’s Day?
- You kiss someone under what plant?
- Can you name any Christmas song?
- What transport does Father Christmas use?
- A star / an angel
- Christmas pudding
- Through the chimney
- Ornaments / decorations
- 25th December
- 1st January
- (Student’s own answer)
- A sled
Christmas Speaking Topics (Intermediate)
- What do you like about this holiday?
- What don’t you like about Christmas?
- Is it normal in your country to have a 'white Christmas'?
- Do you like Christmas music?
- What is your favourite Christmas song from the past or present?
- Do you think Christmas is too commercial?
- Is the way you feel about Christmas different to when you were a child?
- Do you think the meaning of Christmas has been lost?
- How would you feel about asking your family not to give you presents this year and donating money to charity instead?
- What do you want for Christmas?
- Do you know why Christmas is a religious holiday?
- Do you know what other countries eat at Christmas?
- Which would you prefer – Christmas on a beach in Australia or a white Christmas in the U.K.?
Christmas Adjectives (Intermediate)
Match the adjectives with the definitions.
- Suitable for a festival or party.
- Sacred or religious.
- In good spirits, happy.
- Cheerful, happy or festive.
- Full of joy.
- Not hostile or argumentative.
- The sound that bells or coins make.
Ask students to make sentences with each adjective.
1- Festive, 2- Holy, 3- Jolly, 4- Merry, 5- Joyful . 6- Jingling, 7- Decorative, 8- Peaceful.
© 2013 Muttface