Crazy Florida Laws
1. It is illegal to show your breast in a topless dance.
2. Babies are not allowed to be nude on the beach.
3. It is illegal to sell your children.
4. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown..
5. It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
6. It's illegal for you to tow anything on a bike.
7. You may not fart in a public place after 6 P.M.
8. It's illegal to walk slowly in Hialeah.
9. Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
10. The penalty for horse theft is death by hanging.
11. Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
12. Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.
13. A $50 fine will be levied on anyone who allows a couch to sit in their carport.
14, Chickens are considered a ‘protected species’ in Key West.
15. No one may bring a pig with them to the beach.
16. If you notice an ice-cream man attempting to sell his cold concoctions in a cemetery, call the police immediately, it is illegal in Destin.
17. Owning a flower pot with water in it that isn’t capable of draining is considered a public nuisance.
18. It is against the city ordinance to hang your clothes outside on a clothesline in Cape Coral.
19. Selling oranges Persons face up to thirty days in jail for selling oranges on the sidewalk in Miami Beach.
20. It is considered an offense to shower naked.
Now that we have had our fun and laughed at these crazy, silly, outrageous laws it's time to get serious. Some of these laws are no longer on the books, however some of them are still there, forgotten and set on the back burner.
This segment is all in fun.
Crystal River is the only place in North America where it is legal to have a supervised swim with gentle manatees.
Places to visit in Florida
They are literally hundreds of places to visit in Florida the land of sun, surf, and, beautifully warm weather, and breathtaking oceanviews. Florida has something for everyone no matter what type of vacation you are looking for. Florida is a family vacation paradise. They are famous for their theme parks and exciting nightlife as well as their quite secluded beaches and luxurious hotels.
Islands of Adventure
Kennedy Space Center
I named the most popular ones, there are many more you can visit while in Florida.
Points of Interest
Winter Park has a wonderful boat tour
Old Town Trolley Tours
The Bat House
There is truly something for everyone. The camping and state parks are beautiful and the fishing is unbelievable. Not to mention the boating and of course deep sea fishing. You could vacation in Florida year after year and never do the same things twice.
No matter where you are in Florida you are never more than 60 miles from the ocean.
Interesting Florida Fun Facts
- St. Augustine is the oldest European settlement in North America.
- Clearwater, Florida has the highest rate of lightning strikes per capita in the U.S.
- The first commercial airline flight in history took place in Florida, between Tampa and St. Petersburg, in 1914.
- Gatorade was named after the University of Florida Gators where the drink was first developed.
- Florida” means “flowery” in the Spanish language. Ponce de León referred to the newly discovered peninsula as “La Florida” because he was celebrating the Easter season, and the spring flowers were in bloom.
- The first Snapper lawn mower was developed in Florida by Neil and Montverde Smith.
- Florida is the only state in the continental United States to have extensive shallow coral reef formations near its coasts.
- Florida's capitol, Tallahassee, was the only southern capitol east of the Mississippi that stayed in southern hands for the whole Civil War.
- The first graded road built in Florida was Old Kings Road in 1763. It was named for King George of England.
- The St. John's River in northeast Florida is one of the few rivers in the world that flows north instead of south.
- The Olustee Battlefield State Historic Site commemorates the largest battle fought in Florida during the American Civil War.
- Benwood, is the most popular shipwreck for divers in Florida is located in the Florida keys on the French Reef.
In 1959, the United States Postal Service attempted to deliver mail by cruise missile and successfully shipped cargo from New Jersey to Florida in 22 minutes.
The youngest United States citizen to receive a life sentence was Florida’s Lionel Tate, due to accidentally killing his neighbor while wrestling. At the time of the accident, he was only 12 years old.
© 2010 Susan Hazelton