- Education and Science
Praise and Worship Flags - Purpose and Use
Purpose of Flags and How They May Be Used
This article describes how flags may be used in your praise and worship experience - this could be within a church setting, or taking them out into the community. Flags may be used in many ways for ministry; to pray for a nation to praying for an individual person's healing. Flags can be very helpful in defining the focus of ministry - whether it is for intercession, warfare, worship or celebration.
Flags Outside the Church Walls
Outreaches to the lost - call everyone in to worship God through flags. Flags are often seen in parades, football games and on poles outside homes and businesses. Flags are to be seen from far off. They are a rallying point for people to gather together. Just as billboards are used to advertise their place of business or products, flags can be used to lift up the name of Jesus and many of His wonderful promises. A message may be spoken through the flags by adding movements with the flags to Godly music (Click HERE for an example). This becomes an experience that not only penetrates through sound, but also through the eyes that are a window to the soul. This form of ministry can open the way for people to freely come to see what you are doing, and provide an opportunity for you to share the gospel with them.
Prayer walks - can be used to take back our land as spoken of in Joshua 1:3 - 9. God does not want us to be afraid or dismayed by what is going on in our land. He wants us to be strong and courageous, knowing He is with us. Where we place our foot in prayer He will give to us as we ask in His name. Prayer walks can also be reminders for other people as they see the flags to pray for our nation, servicemen, leadership or government. Our cities and communities need our prayers because of all the mixed messages that have created confusion in our land. We can also bring peace where we go and deposit it into our communities. As we are filled up with God's presence we can pour out His peace wherever we may go.
The picture shown here (from a local newspaper) was one of those unexpected blessings during a prayer walk. I had a burden for our country and the direction it could take. A friend of mine shared the same burden with me as well so we decided to take it to the streets and pray for voting citizens to vote for what is right, and not out of their convenience or agendas. The title that the journalist came up with - "Banners of Hope" - seemed so very appropriate.
Flags used to edify the body of Christ
Praise and worship - this is where the union of flags and music come together in an experience that can leave a lasting impression in the mind and your heart.
- In service where the Word is spoken this adds a 3rd strand in the strength and depth of your worship experience. Ecclesiastes 4:12 Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
- In your own personal time at home is where you can develop your own form of movement and expression of praise and worship. As you develop in your spiritual growth and begin to discern how you need to minister in your own home you may find flags helpful for spiritual warfare and cleansing in your home. The music can clear the air in your home (setting the atmosphere) where the flags can be used to stake your claim, kick the enemy out, cover by the blood, or pray for healing. I have personally found that when I am praying through my home I often times get easily distracted by things I see that need to be done. When I have a flag in my hand it actually helps to keep me focused to pray through until I am finished.
Helpful Tips for Using Flags
Prayer and Ministry with Flags
Prayer and ministry - in a group, service, retreat, conference, or wherever there is a need. In an organized gathering please make sure you have permission to use flags by the leadership. Flags can be overpowering in many ways so if they are used out of order it is only magnified. Everything should be done decently and in order. 1 Corinthians 14:39 - 40 Therefore, brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
- Prophetically means you are hearing from God and are prepared to minister under His leadership. Many times you may not even understand the message you are speaking with the flags; this is very similar to speaking in tongues. Just know that when you are truly being lead by the Holy Spirit you can trust Him. The Holy Spirit may later reveal the meaning of what you were doing or someone may come to you and tell you how they were ministered to.
- There may be an opportunity for intercessory prayer for healing. As we allow ourselves to be a vessel to be used by God, we can allow Him to minister healing and restoration to the people. The flags can encourage people to look up to God for their source of help. The flag can be a visual point of contact very similar to the snake placed on a pole just as God directed Moses to do. As they would look upon the pole with the snake by faith they would be healed. Numbers 21:8 - 9 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live." So Moses made a bronze serpent, and put it on a pole; and so it was, if a serpent had bitten anyone, when he looked at the bronze serpent, he lived.
- Warfare can be demonstrated in several ways. First let me say our battle is not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities, rulers of the darkness of this world and against spiritual hosts of wickedness in heavenly places.Ephesians 6:12. We can make a proclamation by posting our flag high and holding it still. (Click HERE to see an example of a Christian battle banner) This can be done in strategic places around the room or even just by the entrance way. Warfare can take place as a prayer is being spoken by gently waving the flag asking the Holy Spirit to move on their behalf. Warfare can also take place in our praises. Smaller flags can be used and cracking sounds can be made to chase off the enemy.(Click HERE to see a good small flag for use in spiritual warfare)
- Celebration can be shown in many ways. As we humble ourselves and acknowledge God as our source of everything we need, we can bring all glory unto Him. Celebration can be a very joyous event with flags and dancing, or it may be a bowing in reverence and even tears as we realize we just cannot contain all of His richness and goodness. We do have a mighty God to celebrate and our lives lived out in worship for Him is a continual celebration. This is how we can draw in the lost as they begin to desire to have what we have.
Using flags and streamers at conference in Peru, South America
If you are looking for flags, banners, garments or other accessories for praise and worship, please visit my website at CreationsAnewSilks.com. Here are some links to get you going...
Worship Streamers are long and graceful, available in a variety of colors and styles, and they include a 22 inch streamer wand.
- Half Circle Flags
Half-circle worship flags, also known as Angel Wings, are very easy to dance with. They flow beautifully and make a wonderful extension of your expression.
- Small Flags
Small worship flags are especially useful inside buildings or where there are short ceilings. Kids also find them to be a lot of fun. Some styles come with a wooden rod, and others may be used with a wooden or metal spinning rod. Check out the access
- Large Flags
Large worship flags are wonderful to use in a Sanctuary with high ceilings, as well as outdoors. Rods are sold separately so that you can choose the length you like.
Worship banners speak a specific message. A 9 to 12 foot or longer rod works very well with these flags.
- Dance Silks
Dance silks are not used with rods, and are easy to carry and use at any given moment. They are also used for ministry, and are wonderful for placing over someone during ministry.
Worship accessories include streamer wands, flag rods (solid and spinning), Lametta shakers and dance bracelets, my "Flag Foundation Book", and an audio CD.
Worship garments are great overlays to be used with leotards and dance pants. Sacred garments should be used only for ministry - not for any common activities. Garments are made of 100% silk that is a little bit heavier than that used for flags. Garm
Specific books for this ministry ...
- Creations Anew Flags and Accessories for Praise and Worship
I pray this book will be a blessing to your ministry. As you gain an understanding of how flags are used with a purpose, bringing all glory unto our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
- Order in the Courts by Paul Wilbur
"Tambourines, schofars, flags, and the garments of praise are not necessary for us to worship, but they are facilitators in our earthly expressions of our praise and worship. A popular song states, 'It's all about You, Lord' and I believe this should
Other books I recommend ...
I never thought I would buy a woman's bible, but at the moment I first opened it up I got lost in it. Reading this bible has been an adventure for me. It sits on my dining room table in the middle of my home, calling out to me to come and read ... "Feast on My Word" says the Lord.