- Education and Science»
- Geology & Atmospheric Science
Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 6152 Weather Station
Davis Instruments makes the best weather stations and the Vantage Pro2 6152 is the Cadillac of the crop. Price and durability are the most important factors when considering a weather station; features are a close second.
In this article I will outline the features of the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 6152 and show you how to buy this weather station at a discount with full company support should you need it.
All Davis Instruments wireless weather stations install in less than five minutes. If you prefer a cabled weather station over wireless, you will spend a few minutes more laying the cable. In all cases, the weather station and console set up in a few minutes. From the time you open the box to the time you start gathering weather information is less than five minutes.
The Vantage Pro2 is rugged, a must in a weather station, as the equipment will suffer the ravages of extreme weather consistently.
The Vantage Pro2 is used by professional weather observers and weather enthusiasts alike. The standard features listed below provide every data point imaginable. The special features turn your Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 weather station into a powerful, must-have tool, for your farm, business, school, or home.
The information displayed on the Vantage Pro2 console includes:
- Date & Time
- 8 Phases of the Moon
- Short-term Weather Forecast for Rain, Snow, Clouds, and Sun
- Temperature Update Every 10 Seconds for Outside, Every 50 Seconds for Temperature Inside
- Humidity Update Every 50 Seconds Outside; Every Minute Outside
- Console Receives Data up to 1000 Feet from the Weather Station
- Barometer and the Barometric Pressure Trend
- Updates Every 10 seconds for Wind Chill and Heat Index
- Rain totals updated every 20 Seconds. The Data can be Stored for up to 25 Months
- 24 hour weather comparison
- WeatherCenter has additional information, including daily high/low, temperature change by the hour, and barometric value changes
- Displays astronomical data like meteor showers
- Glow in the dark keypad on console
- Ability to produce 50 graphs with up to 25 months of data
- Alarms for 22 different dangers, including, high wind, flooding, rain rate, and heat index
- Wind speed is updated every 2 ½ seconds
The Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 is available in wireless and cabled. Cabled is slightly lower in cost, but requires additional work laying the cable. Special features are also available with the Vantage Pro2, including information on:
- Solar Radiation
- UV index
- Two displays of weather forecast for next 48 hours
- Soil moisture
- Humidity Radiation Shield
- Leaf wetness sensor
- Sensor mounting shelf
There are three ways to install your Davis Instruments weather station.
Building mounted: You can attach your weather station to a building. The advantage is the solid foundation; the drawback is the building may affect your weather station readings.
Pole mounted: The pole should be anchored into the ground. A footing is desired or a deep penetration to provide stability to your weather station.
Tripod mounting: The tripod is bolted or screwed to a wood foundation or anchors set in concrete. The tripod is the most mobile mounting, but takes the most effort setting a foundation.
Your personal situation will determine which mounting system to use. It is possible, and easy, to move your weather station from one mounting to another. Mounting hardware on the weather station itself loosens with light tools and is interchangeable with other mounting systems. The low cost of mounting poles and tripods make it inexpensive to set up several mounting locations, making your Davis weather station truly portable.
Put Your Weather Data on the Net
Considerations When Buying
The Vantage Vue 6250 is wireless only and retransmits 1000 feet. This basic weather station comes with an armload of features and is a low cost. If you are looking for a professional grade weather station, the Davis Instruments Vantage Vue 6250 is perfect for you at under $400.
If you are serious about weather, the Vantage Pro2 fits your bill, starting at under $500. The Vantage Pro2 6152C is the cabled version and is lowest in cost.
The Vantage Pro2 6152 is wireless, under $600, and easily portable.
If you want a wireless weather station with a 24 hour fan aspirated radiation shield (for more accurate readings), you want the Vantage Pro2 6153.
Buying Your Davis Weather Station at a Discount
The best and lowest priced way to buy a new Davis Instruments weather station is through Amazon. Multiple dealers compete for the top spot by offering the lowest price and service.
Review the Amazon links next to this article to get the best deal on your weather station. Don’t delay. Pick the weather station of your dreams with mounting pole and any additional features and buy today. That time of year is fast approaching where the weather can get extreme.