- Education and Science»
ESL Nationality Activity - Ireland Quiz
This ESL nationalities activity contains 2 quizzes about Ireland.
Hand out quiz A and B to pairs of students. This is a student-centred activity, so you only have to monitor pronunciation during the exercise.
Good activity for St. Patrick's Day.
ESL Nationalities Activity - Ireland Quiz
1. What Irishman wrote Gulliver’s Travels?
Answer: Jonathan Swift
2. Which famous ship was built in Ireland?
- The Titanic
- The Lusitania
- HMS Victory
Answer: The Titanic
3. Irishman John Holland invented which
- A self-propelled submarine
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
4. Which actress is Irish?
- Ellen Page
- Emma Watson
- Saoirse Ronan
Answer: Saoirse Ronan
5. Which group is Irish?
- One Direction
- Take That
6. Irish architect John Hoban designed which building?
- The Empire State Building
- The Gherkin
- The White House
Answer: The White House
7. Irish physicist John Tyndall was the first to prove
- The greenhouse effect
- That lightening is a unit of electricity
- That the earth was round.
Answer: The greenhouse effect
8. Were there really snakes in Ireland before Saint Patrick removed them, yes or no?
9. Which writer was not Irish?
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- C.S. Lewis
- Oscar Wilde
Answer: J.R.R. Tolkien
10. Newgrange passage tomb in Ireland is older than the Pyramids of Giza. True or false?
1. What Irishman wrote Count Dracula?
Answer: Bram Stoker
2. During the Celtic festival Samhain, it was believed the dead roam the earth. This festival today is known as:
- The Day of the Dead
3. In the 1800s a landlord in Ireland increased the rents of his tenants. The local community ostracised him in retaliation and after a while his name was included in the dictionary as a verb. What was his name?
- Captain Isolation
- Captain Ignore
- Captain Boycott
Answer: Captain Boycott
4. Which actor is Irish?
- Colin Farrell
- Colin Firth
- Tom Cruise
Answer: Colin Farrell
5. Which band is Irish?
- The Rolling Stones
6. Irishman Richard Martin founded the
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Elders
- Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children
Answers: Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
7. Ireland has the oldest working __________ in the world?
8. In the sixteenth century there lived a woman called Grace O’ Malley. She was a famous __________
9. The first transatlantic flight flew from Canada to Ireland. True or false?
10. How many people are believed to be of Irish heritage in the world?
- 40 million
- 70 million
- 150 million
Answer: 70 million
© 2015 Muttface