- Education and Science»
- Home Schooling & Life Experience Education
Five Ways to Improve Your Study Habits
In order to do well in school, it is necessary to have effective study habits that allow you to remember and understand the information you need to pass a test with. Since everyone learns and interprets information differently than others, these five tips cover a wide aspect of ways to learn and remember information and will work for most people.
1. Walk around as you study. Sometimes, walking around your house or pacing back and forth while reading information to yourself is a better way to learn and remember information and facts than reading a page of text sitting down.
2. Look for secondary resources, such as videos or other texts that help support the lessons that you’ve learned in class. This can allow you to see various viewpoints on a certain subject, and can help you understand a certain topic that you may not have understood when your teacher talked about it.
3. Create an audio recording of your summarized notes, and put it on your mp3 player. Listen to it while you’re walking the dog or taking the bus, as it can help plant ideas and concepts in your head that you can easily access when you need them.
4. Boil down and summarize your notes. A lot of the things that you learn in class are irrelevant and you won’t be tested on, so you can take them out of your study notes. Keeping highly summarized notes is great if you have an exam in the course as well, because by the time you get to exam review time you’ll already have your notes for each unit summarized and ready to go.
5. Sleep! Sometimes, you’ve just studied too much. In order for your brain to properly process and understand the information that you’ve studied, you need to be well rested to allow your brain to make the connections that it needs to make. Sleeping for eight hours after two hours of review is better than getting two hours of sleep and studying for eight.
If you have any other methods or ways to improve your study habits, feel free to post them in the comments below to help out your fellow readers.