Fun Free 50 Question Quiz with Answers About the Natural World.
Are you looking for a fun but challenging FREE quiz on nature, natural science and the world around us? Look no further!
Here is a collection of fifty carefully planned questions, with answers clearly placed in bold italics next to each question. Suitable for the pub quiz, school or college groups, or simply for the love of a challenge, this quiz contains a pleasing mixture of easy, intermediate and hard questions.
Feel free to print off this quiz for any non-profit purpose.
How many questions can you get right?
Leave your comments below, and let me know how you got on.
1) What does a limnologist study? Lakes.
2) What is German Bight? A shipping forecast area.
3) A cross between a male ass and a female horse is known as what? A mule.
4) Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza belong to which group of islands? The Balearics.
5) Which mammal experiences the longest pregnancy? African elephant.
6) How many countries are there in Britain? 3.
7) Name the most abundant metal in Earth's crust. Aluminium.
8) Name the lowest area on the Earth's surface. The Mariana Trench.
9) What is the diameter of the planet Jupiter? Approximately 88,695 miles or 142,800 kilometers.
10) In which region of Scotland is Gretna Green locate? Dumfries and Galloway.
11) On the continent of Oceania, which are the two largest countries? New Zealand and Australia.
12) For how many weeks do hens sit incubating their eggs? 3.
13) Which Scottish island gave its name to a style of knitting? The Fair Isle.
14) Mainland America has how many time zones? 4.
15) The Great Barrier Reef is home to how many species of coral? Approximately 600.
16) The fastest bird in the world, just how fast can a peregrine falcon fly? 112 mph.
17) What is the biggest fish? Whale shark.
18) Approximately how many species of bee are there? 20,000.
19) Which islands did Charles Darwin visit to research his theories of natural selection? The Galapagos Islands.
20) If the Greenwich meridian is a 0 degrees, what's at 180 degrees? The International Date Line.
21) Around which planet are the moons Deimos and Phobos located? Mars.
22) Describe the difference between magma and lava. After magma comes to the earth's surface it is then called lava.
23) The Kiel Canal links which two seas? The North Sea and the Baltic Sea.
24) How many species of fish are there? 230,000 (with probably many more as yet undiscovered).
25) What are lignite and anthracite types of? Coal.
26) How many species of monkey are there? 260.
27) Chalk is the main component of which item often worn as an accessory? Pearls.
28) Name England's highest mountain. Scafell Pike.
29) To the nearest square foot, how much skin does an average adult human male have? 20 square feet.
30) The Hoover Dam stands on which river? Colorado River.
31) What is the fastest land animal? Cheetah.
32) Where is Fastnet Rock located? In the Atlantic Ocean, off the most southerly point of Ireland, 4 miles SW of Cape Clear island and 8 miles off County Cork.
33) What is the highest mountain range in the world? The Himalayas.
34) Name the segregated city within Beijing. The Forbidden City.
35) Skara Brea, Scapa Flow and the Old Man of Hoy belong to which group of islands? Orkney.
36) What is Earth's rarest metal? Francium.
37) How many species of moths have been discovered? 160,000.
38) Where would Queen Maud Land be located? The South Pole.
39) What is a London Peculiar more usually known as? Fog.
40) What is the current name of the country once known as Siam? Thailand.
41) In one hour, how many degrees of the Earth's surface does the sun travel across? 15.
42) In which direction do stalagmites grow? Upwards.
43) Which two gases are the main components of air? Nitrogen and oxygen.
44) Which species of bird has the largest wingspan? Albatross.
45) Name the present-day country where Troy lay. Turkey.
46) How many species of tree are there? 60,065 (approximately).
47) Chinook, Mistral and Sirocco are types of what? Wind.
48) In which year will Haley's comet next pass near Earth? 2062.
49) Name the highest waterfall in the world. Angel Falls in Venezuela.
50) For how many weeks do swans sit incubating their eggs? 6.
Share Your View!
Did you enjoy this quiz?
© 2019 Adele Cosgrove-Bray