- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
Christmas Gifts For Teachers
Many parents have close relationships with their children's teachers. In most cases these relationships develop from pre-school through to junior high.
Preschoolers, kindergarten and preparatory schools are where only one or two teachers interact closely with your children for the duration of attendance. In that case, teachers and parents develop close relationships.
Parents usually feel the need to get something special for birthday, valentine or Christmas, especially the holy holiday in December.
It is not hard getting a gift for your child's teacher if you have that sort of relationship. It becomes harder when you don't attend PTA meetings, or conferences on your child's behalf; that is, when you don't them them well enough.
When choosing the gift you need to take into consideration the teacher's gender and age as well. A gift for your child's teacher does not have to be elaborate or given on a special occasion.
A simple gift can say a lot like "thank you for taking care of my child". These are the gifts that mean more especially those given at the end of the school term or year which says "thank you".
Safe gift ideas for teachers
- Chocolate or a basket of edibles are good choices for a teacher you don’t know very well. They are safe and you don’t have to worry about them placing it in the back of the closet and never using it.
- Gift cards or gift certificates are good ideas for gifts because they get to buy what they want or need.
- A spa day gift certificate is also a great gift for both male and female. These people work tirelessly throughout the year and many of them cannot afford or have the time to treat themselves to the spa. A nice facial, massage and mani/pedi will go a long way to relax and prepare them for another long school year.
- Males love to groom and a nice grooming kit for a male teacher is ideal. Most men shave every two days or so and this will come in handy.
- Females love to pamper themselves. A "at home" spa kit with bubble bath and scented oils will make her feel great.
Personal gift ideas
If you have developed a close relationship with the teacher you may opt for more personal stuff.
- A book written by their favorite author, one they haven’t read before. This of course you would know if you have a close friendship there.
- A house plant. Something suitable for the environment they live in. So if they live in a tiny apartment you can’t get them a huge palm tree. You could get them a small house bamboo which is low maintenance. A house with yard could use a plant they could place or plant outdoors.
- If you have been to the teacher’s home and you see they like art you could get them some from that department. A wall painting or a small sculpture will do depending on their preferences.
- One of the most ideal gifts is to have you and your child make something on behalf of the family and you all sign it. No matter what it is or how it looks, that teacher will cherish that gift forever.
What not to get your child’s teacher
- Sweaters. This is cliché gift giving and the teacher may never wear it.
- A tie is a no-no and and he may have hundreds of tie gifts already.
- Ash-trays. Yes people do give ashtrays to non smokers.
- Clothing in general is too personal for your child’s teacher so forget any item of clothing.
- Jewelry also seems inappropriate unless it’s a hat pin or broach.
- No appliance either as you aren’t so sure they need any and may serve to clutter their home.
- No School items. Teachers are human and they want to get away from the classroom during the holidays too so don’t get them something that they are exposed every working day.
- No Christmas or holiday themed gifts (thanks for the mention Teacher). Unless you are absolutely certain of the teacher's religious or holiday practice, it's best to leave out the theme gifts.
Getting your child’s teacher a gift can be easy with all the sales and discounts that are happening during the Christmas season. You don’t have to spend a lot to give something special. If you shop online you can get discount coupons. Couponsnapshot.com has many affiliate stores that offer discounts on hundreds of items. Check to see if your neighborhood store is on the list. Walmart, Sears, Target, Drugstore, Overstock, Dell, and many other walk in stores are on the list as well as online stores.