Hot to get Resources; Resources Mobilization Guide for organizations and individuals
The definitions of resources, types of resources:
Resource: A supply of something that an organization has and can use to achieve a predetermined output (such as increase in wealth). e.g. time, space, equipment, money, land and water.
Types of resources: Human, financial, material, (assets), virtual information, knowledge, natural, (land) (something that adds value to what we achieve).
Mobilisation: To organize to a particular purpose.
Donor: Any person or organization that gives resources, contrary to the infamous association of donors as” white men”
Resource mobilization: This is a systematic and planned process of organized supplies such as human, finances, information to attain a desired result, (e.g. vaccinate animals in Lanya).
Challenges to resource mobilization include:
· Steadily dwindling resources
· Reducing external dependency Vs financial sustainability
· Many organisations are seeking access to resources while resource levels are still the same. Strategic issues, lack of solidarity among the NGOs, compromise of principles in order to get funding
· More for profit organizations under social corporate responsibilities are giving resources(banks, oil companies)
· Lack of accountability has in some cases caused donors to shift funding to other organizations.
· Competition for resources may result into lack of solidarity and unity among NGOs
Opportunities presented by the above challenges to resource mobilization
· Creating a sustainable alternatives to external funding
· Creating conditions that promote a spirit of giving in the private sector
· Engaging the state in creating an enabling environment for resource mobilization.
· Collaborating in the context of resource mobilization
· Strengthening of their resource mobilization capabilities
· Assessing and responding to external organizational practices that impact on subsequent resource mobilization efforts.
· Understanding that their values and principles influence their approaches to resource mobilization.
Approaches to Resources mobilizations
· Income Generating Activities (IGAS)
· Membership contribution
· Flexibility and year marked finances,
· Creation of enterprises
· Personal approach/interaction with the donors
· Spending donor’s resources wisely
· Proper keeping of financial records
· Tapping the donor interest
· Donation from donor is not only finance
· Follow up of appeal to get the feedback from the donor
· Community buying on what the organization is doing
· Impress the donors, show the donors that you are the best to be funded
· Sufficient training for the members to impart knowledge for sustainability
· Partnership with business sector
· Creation of foundation
· Knowledge of sustaining organization with or without donors