- Education and Science»
- School & Classroom Etiquette & Social Skills
How students become addicted to facebook and other social media
There are students that say that they are feeling bored and dont know what to do while at the same time they feel lonely and caged in four walls all due to the fact that they could not use some type of cell phone or social media for about 24 hours straight.
Meanwhile in a recent study done by the University of Maryland international for media and public affairs also by Salzburg academy on media and global change some 1,000 college students from around the world participated in not using any electronic media which means no cell phones, e-mail, facebook, and finally no instant messenger. So this says that if you are under the age of 25 anywhere in the world it means that you are addicted to some type of media for example TV., facebook, e-mail, or a cell phone as well they are all the same in every way possible.
Social media trouble
From what I know media addiction cannot be diagnosed like an illness such as cancer or diabetes.
It is the behavior and language that the student shows but here is another thing that I heard about from a student saying that while they were on a search engine for instance google.com that student's typed f-a-c-e as in facebook.com for the website on the search engine bar and truly confess that the students brain and muscle memory controlled him or her to type that instead of the school subject being taught.
Another thing from the study is that the college students that were there could not handle their habits for a full 24 hours making them check their e-mails and phones in the end.
Activities that can be done on Social Media
Here are four reasons a student can be addicted to social media:
1) Facebook has a section were you can update anything on facebook which it will then show it to your facebook friends.
2) Believe it or not social media can also be a place to learn and disscuss about different situations or topics within a group or a business coorporation.
3) It is a place where you can add and make your own apps their are a ton of apps available game apps, quizz apps, and music apps for entertainment.
4) Great social media website for business people advertising their company in order to get more people to know about their company.
5) Facebook will always be a popular social media website not only by high school and college students but also by adults, older people, and companies that want to promote.
6) There is also a positive side to facebook because it can also be a site where community organizations can promote a cause about cancer or cystic fibrosis can gather information and tell facebook users to help and make a contribution.
Which social media do you like the most?
Some tips to recover from social media addiction
- The first step into recovery is to recognize that you are in fact addicted and that you need help in order to be able to change. A question that you can ask yourself is do you spend more than 3 hours looking at facebook?
- Get to know the true facts about social media such as is it really that positive to spend half of your days using facebook or other social sites. What are the consequences and safety problems someone can face.
- Organize your time decide for how long you will be surfing the social media and make an effort to stick to it.
- Make some real life plans and commit to them sometimes it might be easy to ignore or not want to do them because of the social media activity.
- Ask yourself this question "what am I doing on Facebook?" Try to figure out what you are getting out of facebook what type of activities are you doing?, is it healthy?
- Recording in a notebook what you are putting on facebook and doing this will help you see what is right and wrong.
Social Media facts to know
- Up to 75 percent of the facebook posts become active within 5 hours.
- 23% of teens say that Instagram is their favorite social media site.
- 44% of people who use twitter have never sent a tweet before.
- 84% of woman and 50% of men remain active users on pinterest.
- 53% of Google plus interaction between other users and a brand is positive content.