How to Make Shark Fin Soup - the Best Sharks Video on the Net
You can't make shark fin soup without a shark's fin or two.
That is the most vital ingredient in shark fin soup. It is also almost completely tasteless; that is why a chicken stock cube is added. In fact, without the shark's fin, you just have a delicious vegetable soup to which you could add noodles, or pasta to make up for the lack of shark's fin.
All good recipes list the ingredients, so here we go.
You will need:
- a shark's fin
- 3 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 1 root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 Chinese mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 1 Spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 litres of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine
- 220g of chicken meat, finely shredded
- 220g of prawns
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornflour.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan
- Add the vegetables and the rice wine
- Let it cook for a few minutes, then add in half the stock
- Stir in the shark's fin........................
WAIT A MINUTE, I DON'T HAVE THE SHARK'S FIN!!! OFF TO GET ONE, BACK SOON.
Watch the video below - how I got my shark's fin.
How I got my shark's fin
Now I have my fin, and enough to fill the freezer. Where was I...? Oh yes.
4. Stir in the shark's fin and simmer for 8 minutes.
5. Add in the chicken, prawns, soy sauce and cornflour, and the rest of the stock.
6. Bring back to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve in bowls, yum! I can't wait for this!
YUK! THIS IS AWFUL! IT TASTES OF AMMONIA!
So there you go! All that work for nothing. I could have just missed out the shark fin, and had a delicious soup.
Why didn't I think of that?
Shark's fin soup is served only for cultural reasons. In Asia, the serving of shark fin's soup is the ultimate sign of wealth. It is nor served for enjoyment, but for it stands for.
Millions of sharks die each year, only to make a soup that is not even enjoyed.