- Education and Science
A pet peeve of mine that I relish is what I call Inconsiderate Logistics. I'm sure you've seen it in action, we all have. Let me begin by defining a couple of terms:
inconsiderate – adjective
1. without due regard for the rights or feelings of others: It was inconsiderate of him to keep us waiting.
2. acting without consideration; thoughtless; heedless.
3. overhasty; rash; ill-considered: slovenly, inconsiderate reasoning.
logistics – noun
1. the branch of military science and operations dealing with the procurement, supply, and maintenance of equipment, with the movement, evacuation, and hospitalization of personnel, with the provision of facilities and services, and with related matters.
2. the planning, implementation, and coordination of the details of a business or other operation.
So someone who is practicing the art of Inconsiderate Logistics is someone who does not give any consideration to the movement of people. Let me give you a few examples...
Some people are so engrossed in their conversation as they ascend or descend the escalator that once they reach the end of the ride they stop to continue their conversation. This is an ill-considered placement of these people as a steady stream of escalator riders will pile up behind them. Other times a person coming down the escalator is accosted by their friend who is waiting at the bottom and the two of them slow down their movements hindering the people who are continuing to arrive at the bottom of the escalator.
Doorways and Entryways
In a public area where there are exit/entry doors, the precise spot for an Inconsiderate Logistical person to have a conversation with an equally Inconsiderate Logistical is right in front of the doors, whether it be on the indoor side or the outdoor side. People need to pass through these doors to exit or enter, does standing there make any sense?
Stopping on a busy sidewalk
For those of us who live in or frequent a city, there are times when the sidewalks are crowded and full of moving people. An Inconsiderate Logistical person would be walking at the same pace of everyone else but then at an inordinately inconvenient time, decide to come to a complete stop.
Jane is walking north through a narrow well used hallway while Jeff and Bill are walking south talking about the project they are working on. Jane over hears them and stops them to provide her feedback so the three of them are now stopped in the midst of a narrow well used hallway having an impromptu business meeting. Tell me, is this Logistically Inconsiderate?
I am sure you can come up with your own example. All I ask, if you ever find yourself in a position where you become part of an Inconsiderate Logistical situation, to render that situation considerate in whatever way possible.