International Biology Olympiad
- Practical exam : July 16/2013 ( Tuesday)
- Theoretical exam: July 18/2013 ( Thursday)
What is IBO?
World Championship Biology Competition for high school students
Participates: 70 countries across five continents.
IBO delegations : 4 Students+ 2 Academic advisors
- Secondary school students
- Age Between: 14-19
IBO Exam Topics
Animal anatomy and physiology
Cellular, molecular and microbiology
Genetics, population genetics and evolutionary biology
Plant anatomy and physiology
I. Theoretical exam - 100 multiple choice like questions
- No of exams: 2
- Duration: 3 hours
II) Practical Exam
- No.of exams: 4
- Duration: 1.5 hours
Biology Olympiad Books
Biology Olympiad Questions
Question 1: Select the chemical property that is shared by all types of lipids forming the plasma membrane.
A. Polar head
B. Sugar component
C. Glycerol backbone
D. Phosphate group
E. Hydrophobic region
Question 2: Which of the following can children only inherit from their mother?
A. on the X chromosome.
B. on the Y chromosome.
C. in the mitochondrial genome.
D. in a maternally imprinted gene.
E. in the hypervariable region of an antibody gene.
IBO Practical Exam Questions
- Task I: Reconstruct the phylogenetic tree of six plant species using parsimony method
- Task II: Reconstruct the phylogenetic tree of six insect species using the UPGMA method
- Task III: Co-evolution between plants and insects
IBO Practical exam Topics
- Comparative and Functional Biosystematics
- Molecular Cell Biology
- Plant Ecology and Physiology
- Evolutionary Ethology
Exam Place- IBO 2013
24th International Biology Olympiad