- Education and Science»
- Law & Legal Issues
Vocabulary of Law
Laws are mainly designed for two basic reasons. One, they were designed to protect us, as a whole, whether it be in personal, corporate, or societal matters. They were also designed to have control over the behavior of all with the ability to alter those behaviors that need to be corrected.
There are 8 main areas of law.
- Constitutional—This provides the substructure for generating laws that protect our human rights. These laws also assist us in electing political representation.
- International—This area of law supplies the means by which nations deal with each other. International laws can range from trade to environment issues to military actions.
- Administrative—Administrative laws give us, the people, the ability to change the government.
- Contracts—Contracts control everything from selling a business to buying a computer or cell phone.
- Property—Property laws set rules and commitments in renting, buying, and or selling property, whether it is in regarding a home, business, or land.
- Tort— Defines the means by which an individual or company can receive compensation if themselves or their property are harmed or damage in some way.
- Trust—Trust defines the rules applied towards assets such as things like investments.
- Criminal—This area of law helps describe how any criminal act can be prosecuted and it sees that the perpetrator is punished.
Some of the important functions of laws are: Peacekeeping. Checking government power. Promoting the personal freedom for us all. Keeping in check of expectations by facilitating and planning. Promoting economic growth through “free” competition. As well as, promoting the social justice. Lastly, protecting the environment.