- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
Make a Hurricane Supply Locker
You saw it on the news or heard it on the radio; It's headed in your direction. What do you do? There are so many things to check for, but the main thing is know the location of the storm and what zone you're in when it hits.
Go online to your local Hurricane Preparedness site. There is one for every county. Check for yours. Then you need to look up what evacuation zone you are in. Check with your local county website for more information.
Below is a site you should always have in your toolbar or keep in your bookmark; National Weather Service. It's good for any storm, not just hurricanes. You can find many great tips there.
When the storm hits, do you know where to look if the lights go out? Do a practice run and see what you end up with. Where are your batteries? Your flashlights? Your car keys? Your leashes for pet? Water bottles? Maps? Cell phones and chargers?
Here's a great idea; Get a locker or cabinet and keep it in your garage or in your apartment. If you have to leave in a hurry, all you have to do is go to one place instead of running all around the house looking for your supplies. These are extra things to keep that will help you save time. If you get a locker, keep it locked if you have kids and keep the key taped to the top of the locker. If you have a cabinet, you can get a lock for it. But don't get a combination lock because if your power goes out, you won't be able to see the numbers. If you don't like the look of a metal locker, you can decorate it with stickers or paint it.
Here are some things to keep in the locker:
- Car or Cell phone chargers
- An extra set of car keys (keep the locker key taped to the top of the locker itself and don't get a combination lock. If the lights go out, you won't be able to see).
- Water bottles (if you're running out, you will probably forget this)
- First Aid Kit
- Raincoats/Rain Boots
- Emergency Phone Numbers (keep in or out)
- Evacuation Zone (you can tape this to the inside door or keep it on the outside)
- Sand bags (if you plan on staying in, you will need them)
- Tape for your windows
- Paper towels
- Extra pet leashes
- Eye Glasses (if you have an extra pair, keep them in here. When lights go out, you may not find the ones you just had on your head and won't have time to look if you're in a hurry).
- Portable Radio
- Walkie Talkies (always good to have if you have kids or lose a cell phone)
- Extra Power Strips (the ones in your home may get wet or fry, good to have a new set)
- Plastic Tarp (you can always use plastic when things get too wet)
- Magazines or books to read, games for kids in case you have a long drive to a friends house or you can stay but storm shuts everything down. You can keep them busy.
- Snacks for road trip (if you have to leave, you won't have to go to the kitchen).
- Bowl for pets water in case you don't have one already in your vehicle.
- Extra medications. You should always keep this in one place anyway. But if you are living in an area where storms are prevalent, why not keep them in here? At least you'll know where they are and nobody else will be able to get to them as long as you lock up.
- Diapers/Feminine Products, like sanitary napkins and baby shirts, pants, socks, etc. Keep dry baby formula here and some baby food to take with you and blankets.
- Over the counter drugs like aspirins, headache meds are also important.
- Toothbrushes and toothpaste. If you need to go, you will probably forget this, as most people will and if you have to stay in a hotel or someone's house, chances are, they won't have toothbrushes for you. Good to keep handy.
TIPS: As soon as you hear there's a storm coming, check your vehicle to make sure it has a full tank of gas, wipers are working properly, tires are okay and oil has been changed. Some of these things can be kept in the car, and I would suggest that, like the dog bowl, tarp and maps.
Good luck and stay safe.
Do you have what it takes to be a writer? Join the HUB today and become a Hubber too. It's free and easy to join. Click below and start earning!