Mesothelioma Settlement Amounts to $26.6 Million Dollars Awarded to Couple
THEAMERICANWRITER - Oct. 14, 2013 | 18:39 CST
CALIFORNIA, Los Angeles - Mesothelioma settlement amounts vary depending on the case. Michael Sutherland is a Californian drywaller who developed mesothelioma due to exposure of asbestos. For 25 years, he was unknowingly inhaling asbestos while working with and around building materials that contained this fibrous mineral. On June 20, 2012, he and his wife sued well over 30 companies who were responsible for manufacturing building materials with asbestos. The only two companies that fought the lawsuit were Lime Products and Highland Stucco. And, on March 19, 2013, the jury of Los Angeles Superior Court found only Highland Stucco responsible for Michael Sutherland's exposure to asbestos products and awarded him $26.6M.
Typical Costs of a Mesothelioma Lawyer in the USA
Usually, the typical costs of a mesotheolima attorney are contingency-based. This means, the lawyer does not charge the client anything upfront; there will be no advanced fees to pay and the lawyer covers all expenses. It is not until the lawyer handles the case successfully, will the client be obligated to pay between 33-40 percent of the recovery or awarded amount. The lawyer will also be entitled for reimbursement of any expenses that incurred during the case.
How to Find the Best Mesotheolima Lawyers in the USA
Finding the best mesothelioma lawyer in the USA is achieved by asking the lawyer questions as well as getting detailed answers about his or her experience with mesothelioma cases. Here is a list of questions to ask the lawyer who will be the one actually assigned to your case and representing you:
1. What is your experience in mesothelioma litigation?
(Leave this as an open-ended question to give the lawyer room to fill in as much information as possible without limits. If the lawyer has left something out which you feel is an important factor in making your decision, then that would be your next question. Sometimes, you can ask too detailed of a question and the answer given will only be specific to the specifics of that question. So again, leave this open to give the lawyer room to really talk and you can get a better feel for who the lawyer is and how he or she speaks.)
If not voluntarily answered in the first question, ask the lawyer the following questions:
- Have you handled many mesothelioma cases like mine?
- How many mesothelioma cases has your firm handled?
- How many of your mesothelioma cases were successful?
- How many mesotheolioma cases have you been able to settle out of court?
- What was the average settlement in each mesothelioma case you settled out of court?
- What was the average settlement in each mesothelioma case you settled in the courts?
- On average, how long does it take your law firm to settle a case?
- How often do you choose to settle rather than go to trial?
- Reflecting on the mesothelioma cases that were unsuccessful, what could you have done differently to turn those cases into successful ones?
- How many mesothelioma cases are you currently handling?
More importantly, never forget to ask the fee schedule. Even though most lawyers work on a contingency basis, some of them do not. Simply ask the following question:
- What will be all of my upfront costs to work with your firm on my mesothelioma case?
- What are all your fees and when do want payment for these fees? (Ask this if there are no upfront costs.)
All of these questions will give you a great understanding of the lawyer (e.g. work ethics, professionalism, philosophies) and the lawyer as a person. These questions will give you an excellent start on finding the best mesothelioma lawyer in the USA - and anywhere else for that matter - for you. Remember that mesothelioma settlement amounts will vary depending on the case. Wish you the best.