- Education and Science»
- Astronomy & Space Exploration
Moon Landing Hoax: What is the Reality?
Many people believe that man never landed on the moon, and the said moon landing is just a hoax. What is the reality?
On 20th July 1969, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin landed on the moon. But many people do not believe this, and proclaim that Moon landing was a hoax. Several books have been written on this subject. Some TV channels produced documentaries claiming Man never landed on the moon. People who are interested in conspiracy theories always believed in such books and documentaries.
Moon Landing Hoax has become one of the most popular conspiracy theories. According to a survey, about 20% of Americans believe that Moon Landing was a hoax. But what is the reality?
Origin of the Moon Landing Hoax
Before discussing about the Moon landing reality, let us discuss about the origin of the Moon landing hoax and who were the people who created this hoax.
7 Human missions to Moon were sent during 1969 to 1972. On 20th July 1969, two astronauts landed on Moon, who were sent through Apollo 11 mission. Last pair of astronauts landed on the Moon on 19th December 1972. Two years after the last Apollo mission, Bill Kaysing (Full name: Bill Charles Kaysing), an American writer first claimed that man never landed on the Moon. He claimed this through his self published book We Never Went to the Moon: America's Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle.
Kaysing's claims inspired Ralph René, who was a conspiracy theorist. In 1992, he wrote a book NASA Mooned America!. This book too was self published.
Many Americans started to believe in such claims, as that was a post Vietnam war and post Watergate era, when they had become non-believers in the Government accounts.
Kaysing and Ralph René were not the only promoters of this conspiracy theory. Other famous persons who supported this conspiracy theory were: Bart Sibrel, an American Film maker; William Brian, a nuclear Engineer; David Percy, a T.V. producer; Marcus Allen, a British Publisher and many others.
All the promoters of this conspiracy theory give various reasons and evidence in support of their claims against Moon landing. It is interesting to know what do they say.
According to the Conspiracy Theorists, because of the space race between United State and Russia, NASA staged Moon Landing in studio. They give 'proof' of staging the Moon Landing by NASA in studio. Their claim is based on the photographs taken by the astronauts. They also give 'scientific' reasons for why Man can not land on the moon, i.e. It is not possible to land on the Moon because of various reasons.
Evidences of Man Landing on Moon
But in reality, Man actually landed on the Moon, not just once, but for 6 times. There are many evidences of these landings, including many third party monitoring of the landings. Besides them, many logical things suggest that the Landing of Man on the moon can not be a hoax.
1. The Moon Landing Mission involved more than 40000 people including many astronauts, scientists, technicians etc. 12 men walked on the Moon and 12 others orbited it. The time span was 12 years. It is not possible to stage the Moon landing and keep it secret because of involvement of such a big number of people and the big time span. Remember that none of the people closely involved in the mission has declared the Moon Landing mission as a conspiracy.
2. Russia carefully monitored all the missions. If the Moon Landing was fake, Russia would have disclosed it as the Russians were competitors of USA in the space race. Besides Russia, space agencies of many other countries, many individuals and groups tracked the missions using highly advanced technology of that time.
3. The 12 astronauts who landed on moon collected 382 Kgs of Moon Rock. Parts of the rocks were sent to the worldwide laboratories to examine. The rocks were analyzed by worldwide scientists including geologists and others, all of whom agree that the rocks were from the Moon. This includes the laboratories and scientists from Russia too.
4. Chandrayaan-1, India's first unmanned lunar probe mission, which was launched in 2008, has mapped all the moon landing sites.
5. The images taken by Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO), launched in 2009, clearly show the equipments left by Apollo astronauts on the Moon surface.
Mind of a Conspiracy Theorist
Documentaries on Moon Landing Proof
For further information, please watch these documentaries:
Irrefutable Proof for Moon Landing - Lunar Gravity
NASA's Apollo 11 Moon Landing Mission - Proof It Wasn't a Hoax
- Neil Armstrong: The First Man to Walk on the Moon
This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind -Neil Armstrong after landing on moon. It was the first quote from surface of moon. Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, was my schooldays hero. I remember that I had pasted m
- First Rocket, First Satellite, First Animal, First Man, First Woman into the Space, First Man on the
This is a brief introduction to the major events in the history of space exploration, starting from first vehicle entering into space to first landing on the Moon.
- Do Aliens Exist?
Many people believe that Aliens visit our Earth regularly. They come through UFOs. But is it true or just a modern superstition?
- Astronomy: What is a Light Year?
A light year is a unit of measuring the distance, especially used in astronomy. As the distances between the stars, the galaxies are very huge and it is difficult to explain them in regular units of distances, the concept of light years was introduce
© 2013 Mahaveer Sanglikar