- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
Easy way to learn English for Beginners
Improve your vocabulary
Education is beyond grades and marks and it should be considered as knowledge for learning and improving ourselves.There may be many children who score high grades in the subject but do not have the ability to communicate.Once you come to the college grades, no one bothers about the high scores ,every one judges you only by your communication skills.
- So, have good grades and also improve your communication skills.
- Never hesitate to speak up, feeling inferior about your vocabulary.As the saying goes "A PERSON WILL REMAIN A LOSER IF HE HAS NOT TRIED AT ALL ". so start improving your vocabulary and see the super cool effect !
- Have a good mini dictionary which translates words from your mother tongue (or any other language you are good at) to English.
- The first thing one has to do is improving vocabulary, which can be done through practice. Regular use of the language itself improves our fluency.
- It doesn’t matter even if you get stuck up with a certain word, try it with an alternate. It boosts your confidence levels and this will have a very good impact on your vocabulary. Don’t bother about the comments you will be getting, no matter how irritating they may be.
- Be SPORTIVE . Don’t lose the instinct to learn. Refer the word in the dictionary as soon as possible so that you won’t have to search for it the next time.
- Keep listening to English news, preaches and speeches. Keep speaking to people who are fluent at it, you can learn it better.
- You can find many sites on the internet which can improve your communication skills. Grammarly , English for beginners are some of the sites which help a lot.
- Once you have a good command over the words you can go for the short stories which have simple English. Books by Mr. R.K.Narayan and Mrs.Sudha Murthy are quite good for beginners. But never forget to use the words while conversing which you have learned from the books.
Enjoy these Stories of Malgudi
TRY TONGUE TWISTERS
Below I have mentioned about a Tongue Twister book which is huge collection of funny phrases, ridiculous rhymes, and silly sentences that will have kids laughing for hours.
Each one challenges your mouth muscles as you try to say these tongue twisters faster and multiple times
. A tongue twister is a phrase that is supposed to be difficult to articulate properly. Often times they take practice to say correctly.
Tongue twisters are good practice for children as they learn to form words, phrases, and vowels. It's hard to say a tongue twister without a smile on your face.
Each tongue twister in this book has it's own silly illustration. Kids will be entertained with these tongue twisters for hours.
some more tips
- Don't be in a hurry to refer to the grammar part ,tenses ,parts of speech etc
- Don't go to the nuances from the beginning. it will take a lot of time and it won't be interesting if you are not able to understand or if you don't have a good guide to teach.
- Go through some words daily at random from any book or newspaper,magazine and then refer to them in the dictionary.make it a habit to use them and keep doing this until you get a good command over the language.
- Even if you refer to a word ,a single word daily, you will have 365 words by the end of the year.just imagine ,365 new words !
- Later you can understand the grammar part. overnight we can't expect to learn anything.it takes time but practice is needed for improvement.The more you concentrate on vocabulary, the more it will be interesting and see the magic of words ,they will flow out once you start conversing.
A few words of HUMOUR ..
.A letter to the class Teacher
As a student of the elementary school I was asked to write a leave letter to the class teacher in an examination.As told by the teacher earlier ,everyone was thorough with the pattern of writing the letter.
I had written in my letter : ".....as I am going on a tour ,I grant you leave for 5 days...."instead of writing :"...as I am going on a tour ,I request you to grant me leave for 5 days....".
- Though I hadn't lost any marks,(perhaps the teacher was happy that I had granted her 5 day leave) what I found then onwards that many students commit mistakes not by negligence but by innocence ! yes, in haste students overlook the importance of knowing the meaning of every word and why its being used in a particular sentence.
Funny Conversations Which We can Learn From
These are some of the funny conversations which we can enjoy but need to learn from.
A Class teacher once enters into a class and says :
- "I m oning the fan (present continuous form for on) and
u need to hold the papers tight,pick the ground papers (papers lying on the floor)
and fall in the dustbin". (put the papers into the dustbin)
Meanwhile an activity sheet pasted on the wall falls down so he says,
"will u hang it or else i'll hang myself."
When he finds a boy looking out ,he says
"why are you looking FOR the monkeys outside when Iam already in the class?!"
Then he asks the children
"catch the answers loudly" (to be a bit louder )
Seeing the principal passing by, the teacher told the noisy class.
"Keep quiet, the principal has passed away"
Such funny conversations can be enjoyed but we need to know where the mistake lies and why its taken to be funny.This is another way of learning.
Lastly I would say that learning becomes easy when its enjoyed and this increases our zeal in the subject!
how many times have you conversed in a wrong way or have come across such funny situations
Some More Hilarious Incidents...
This is a true story about the Japanese Embassy in US!!!
A few days ago, Prime Minister Mori was given some basic English conversation training before he visits Washington and meets President Barack Obama ...
The instructor told Prime Minister Mori,
- "When you shake hand with President Obama, please say 'How are you?' Then Mr. Obama should say, 'I am fine, and you?' Now, you should say 'Me too.' Afterwards, we translators will do the work for you."
It looks quite simple, but the truth is ...
- When Mr. Mori met Mr.Obama, he mistakenly said 'Who are you?' (instead of 'How are you?'). Mr. Obama was a bit shocked but still managed to react with humour saying, 'Well, I'm Michelle's husband, ha-ha ...'
- Then Mori replied, 'Me too, ha-ha ....'
Then there was a long silence in the meeting room.