- Education and Science»
- Life Sciences
Poisonous and dangerous sea creatures & water snakes in Thailand
Snakes in Thailand.
Thailand, an exotic paradise, a fantasy dream come true, with ladyboys, sun, sand and poisonous sea creatures whilst on scuba diving trips.
Thailand, like many Tropical countries, has many dangerous and poisonous snakes and animals waiting for the chance to poison, eat or just slightly maim you. Sounds like the perfect vacation destination. T
he con-men in the town are not the only sharks you need to watch out for. Poisonous sea creatures account for many deaths around Thailand, and you should take note of local warnings in certain areas where you go, as migration and mating seasons of poisonous jellyfish and other venomous snakes take place close to the shore.
These slithery aquatic animals can grow up to 3m meters long, but don't panic most types of sea snake are only 150 cm long when they reach adulthood.
Most only live in the water and cannot go onto dry land, which means, unless you are swimming, scuba diving, paddling or jet skijng, you are relatively safe from this creature.
Nearly all sea snakes are considered to be non-aggressive, unless provoked, and will just generally swim past you, but some may try to take a small bite out of you.
Most of these venomous snakes, will use their venom only to stun their prey and nothing more, the fisherman of the are handle them like we would handle rabbits.
Sea snakes need to breathe, they can remain under water for two or three hours, but will drown if they do not get air, and can been seen throughout the day and early evening basking in the sunlight for warmth.
The main diet of the sea snake is eels, or fish, not humans. Many of the snake bites that humans receive, actually go unnoticed.
But some severe bites can cause, nausea, muscle spasm and eventually cardiac arrest and death. If you are bitten by any snake, just in case, swim for the nearest first aid station, you never know.
Tourist Warning: Human Kidney Harvesting in Thailand.
The Infamous Portuguese Man o' War
This little airbag, is actually made up of four different individuals, each relying on one another for survival.
The famous bag like object on top, acts like a sail as this jelly fish has no means or propelling itself through the world oceans, it instead is carried along by the tide, winds and the currents of the seas.
It can be found all over the world in warmer water, but has been seen off the coast of Ireland in recent years, giving eco-warriers some more claim about global warming.
In Australia, over 10,000 bathers each year are stung by this venomous sea creature, it is extremely rare for humans to die of stings from this jelly fish, but it does happen.
The Portuguese man o' war is never alone, if you see one, there may be hundreds or even thousands over the next swell of the ocean, as they all travel with the tide.
If a few of these are washed ashore, local authorities may close the beach, because if you are out there swimming or scuba diving and are suddenly surrounded by floating bags of venom with tentacles on each one of them, reaching an astoninshing length of up to 22 meters, there is not much chance of you getting away without being stung.
All that you have to do is touch a tentacle, and you will be injected with venom.
The sting can easily penetrate scuba diving equipment.
The stings usually only last a couple of hours, with the redness and swelling lasting up to three days, but severe stinging can cause other problems and allergic reactions which can cause heart failure.
If you are going for a dip off of Thailand's coast and you see either a purple-ish or blue-ish bag, about 15cm in length floating on the sea, go to the swimmimg pool instead.
This little angels are the ones that can be seen in the film Finding Nemo, and they are not really poisonous, they may irritate your skin if picked up wrongly, but some of the bigger ones can bit your finger off.
They inflate themselves to ward of predators, but the real poison comes when you eat one. In Japan, and Thailand, puffer fish is a delicacy, and sometimes it is passed of as salmon.
In Thailand, a cook did not prepare the fish properly, and fifteen people died within 24 hours, in Japan, 140 died when restaurant failed to follow proper cooking procedures.
The liver of the fish is the most potent part, and if you are eating fish anywhere and your tongue and lips begin to go numb, then you are probably eating your last ever meal of puffer-fish, death usually occurs between 3 and 24 hours after eating.
If you are still alive after 24 hours, you are usually in a coma, but will come round after a few days and will survive. If you feel you have been poisoned with this venomous creature, run to the hospital, do not stop, do not pass go, do not collect $200, you will need vital treatment including a stomach pump.