Pros and cons of F-35 Lightening, LCA Tejas, JAS Gripen, F-16 Aircraft
- F-35 Lightening from USA, UK, Norway, Australia
- LCA Tejas from India
- JAS Gripen from Sweden
- F-16 Falcon from USA
Below are a few characteristics and pros and cons of the above-mentioned aircraft. This is not a comparison because these aircraft range from fourth to fifth generation and 5.6 ton to 15 ton (empty weight).
F-16 Fighting Falcon was originally a design from 1970s but because it was designed, backed, and continuously upgraded by USA firms like General Dynamics, PW, GE, Lockheed, etc., it is still one of the best fighter aircraft in the world. It is a cheap substitute for big countries like United States of America and Japan and a premier fighter for smaller countries like Greece and Norway. At the moment when we are discussing the latest model of F-16, it is second only to the F-22 and no other fighter has capabilities comparable to F-16s (like AESA radar, SNIPER ATP, AIM-120D [advanced medium range air to air missile], HARM [high-speed anti-radiation missile], JDAM [for turning dumb unguided bombs to smart bombs or munitions], etc.)
Pros of F-16 Falcon:
- It is not very expensive.
- F-16 has very good airframe
- Has superb agility.
- F-16 is low on maintenance.
- Has good combat radius.
Cons of F-16:
This aircraft is best in nothing but still is a favorite of most according to the present time and scenario:
Pros of JAS-39 Gripen:
- Ultra low maintenance.
- Best airframe ever.
- JAS-39 Gripen can take off and land and refuel on roads and unpaved runways.
- It requires maintenance comparable to a luxury car.
- It can fly at Mach 2 and pull 9G where your 10-pound head starts weighing 90 pounds.
- JAS-39 Gripen has a radar comparable to F-16 and is planned to be upgraded with a better (comparable to F-18 and Dassault Rafale), that could become the best fourth generation if fitted with EuroJet. Best and only choice for small countries like Sweden, Thailand, Switzerland, etc.
Cons of JAS-39 Gripen: Surely NONE, but one can say range if you are a country like India, Canada, or Australia.
LCA Tejas of India is one of the lightest combat aircraft in the world. It has been the best fighter completed on time. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited is planning to upgrade it to new levels. It is already in production.
F-35 Lightening II
F-35 Lightening II is America’s second fifth generation fighter after F-22. Many experts across the globe doubted its performance and stealth capabilities but as again it is designed, produced, and backed by best US/EU firms, one cannot doubt its future. They have guts to continuously upgrade it like they did with F-16. The only problem it has to face is raising price tag (and of course Russian and Chinese fifth generation fighters also if not backed by F-22 Raptors.
Pros of F-35 lightening are stealth, superb sensor fusion, short take off and vertical landing, and range.
Cons of F-35 are huge price tag, inability to supercruise, and low internal weapon load.