Sample Written Driving Test Questions and Answers
The driving knowledge test checks one’s knowledge of traffic laws, rules, road signs, motor vehicle laws, and safe driving practices. Specific time may be allotted for the test depending on your state. The written test may be automated (computerized), written, or oral whichever is available in your state.
Here are some sample Driving Test Questions to give you an idea and may be useful when you review for the test.
1. If a traffic light is green and a traffic/police officer signals you to stop, what should you do?
a. Obey the traffic signal.
b. Obey the traffic officer.
c. First obey the traffic officer, then the signal.
d. Do what the vehicle in front of you does.
2. Driver distraction affect driver performance. How do you know when you are distracted?
a. You ran a stop sign or stoplight without knowing.
b. You missed your usual exit on the highway.
c. You swerved suddenly to avoid an object in the roadway.
d. All of the above.
3. You use high beams to see persons or vehicles ahead of you. At what distance should you change to low beam before meeting oncoming vehicles? (may depend on your state)
a. At least 100 feet
b. At least 200 feet
c. At least 300 feet
d. At least 400 feet
e. At least 500 feet
4. Right-of-Way is the right of one vehicle or pedestrian to proceed in a lawful manner in preference to another vehicle or pedestrian. Which among the statements is false?
a. If you have the right-of-way and others yield it to you, proceed immediately.
b. Authorized emergency vehicles such as police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks have the right-of-way all the time even if there’s no signal, either audible (siren) or visual (flashing light).
c. If you are about to turn left at an intersection, alley, private road, or driveway, you must yield the right-of-way to other vehicle or pedestrian until it is safe to turn.
d. If a traffic light turns green for you, you must still yield to vehicles and pedestrians in the intersection. Watch out for red-light runners.
5. A school bus ahead of you in your lane is stopped with red lights flashing. What should you do?
a. Stop as long as the red lights are flashing.
b. Slow to 25 MPH and pass cautiously.
c. Stop then proceed when you think all of the children have entered or exited the bus.
1 – b
2 – d
3 – e
4 – b
5 – a
Did you get the answers right? You need to practice some more and be aware of the road signs/symbols, traffic rules, laws, and figures like speed limits, distance required. Sometimes people are confident that they would pass the test without reviewing or practicing for the test. Good luck on your real and actual written driving test.