31 Simply Awesome Facts
Weird, Interesting and Fun Facts
- There was no punctuation until the 15th century.
- The word taxi is spelled the same in English, German, French, Swedish, Spanish, and Portuguese.
- The word 'News' is actually an acronym standing for the 4 cardinal compass points - North, East, West, and South!
- There are more telephones than people in Washington, D.C.
- The weight of air in a milk glass is about the same as the weight of one aspirin tablet.
- The number of births that occur in India each year is higher than the entire population of Australia.
- The New York Stock Exchange started as a coffee shop.
- On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
- New York's Central Park is almost twice the size of the entire country of Monaco.
- It's estimated that millions of trees are accidentally planted by squirrels who bury nuts and then forget where they hid them.
- It takes 492 seconds for sunlight to reach the Earth.
- In many countries, urine was used as a detergent for washing.
- Each day, more than $40 Trillion Dollars change hands worldwide.
- By raising your legs slowly and laying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.
- Blue eyes are the most sensitive to light, dark brown the least sensitive.
- The can opener was invented 48 years after the can.
- Tablecloths were originally meant to be served as towels with which dinner guests could wipe their hands and faces after eating.
- Pageant Models often smear Vaseline on their teeth so their lips won't stick when smiling.
- One punishment for an adulterous wife in medieval France was to make her chase a chicken through town naked.
- It is now possible to print human skin with an inkjet printer.
- In Albania, nodding your head means 'no' and shaking your head means 'yes'.
- A lot of lovemaking can unblock a stuffy nose. Sex is a natural antihistamine.
- In Venezuela, fuel costs around $0.02.
- The volume of the Earth's moon is close to the amount of the Pacific Ocean.
- If you went out into space, you would explode before you suffocated because there's no air pressure.
- Having sex can reduce a fever because of the sweat produced.
- An elephant can die from a broken heart.
- The song "3" by Britney Spears is 3 minutes 33 seconds long.
- A DAY is longer than a YEAR on Venus.
- Homosexuality was listed as a mental illness with the American Psychiatric Association (APA) until 1973.
- A fly that appears to have drowned can be revived with the use of everyday table SALT!
The World is Full of Surprises..
It goes without saying that our world is filled with interesting (and strange) facts like these. You just need to know where to look. Do you have any favorite facts to share? Comment below.