ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Survival Tips For Foreign Student

Updated on May 27, 2009

Every year many Asian students leave their country for studying abroad. They could go to another Asian country that have better education centre than their own country (in this case Indonesia) like Singapore, China, Japan, or South Korea and to many western countries like USA, England (UK), Canada, Australia, Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands, and many more.They have to spend hugh amount for their tuition fee and their living costs. You can not save the tuition fee of course, but you can save the living costs.
In many western country, the living costs are extremely high compare to Asian's. So searching for low cost apartment is a must. As a foreign student they do not have much money except they come from the very rich family. In country like United States the cost for apartment rent is about $700-$1,000 per month and it depend on the facility and location. If you stay at the big city like Boston, New York, or LA the cost is higher than in Texas or Oregon.

Foreign student admissions to Cambridge University

What to do to find low cost apartment

1. As a foreign student don't be shy to tell your friend in college that you need a low cost place to live. Many International Students find affordable place with this way.

2. Check classified ads in your local newspaper or magazines.

3. Searching the low income apartment online. There are plenty of landlord who offer their apartment for rent.

4. Every time you go out, do not forget to look for sign "to rent" in every window, who knows you will find a nice and low cost place to stay.

5.If you like to use a professional help, ask the apartment locator for their help. Just feel free to tell them what kind of apatment you're looking for and the price range.

How to survive in high cost country

1.Take the part time job. As a foreign student, you can take some part time job as long as it not against the rule.
In country like USA, the rule for part time job for international student is clear.Usually the student will work fulltime during their summer vacation about 8 hours per day. You could get two or three part time jobs and that is allowed by the law. Even if you just take a part time job and you are a foreigner do not hesitate to have your Social Security Number (SSN) to protect your rights a worker. By getting part time job you can get some extra cash to survive and get many new friends and experiences.

2. Reduce your eating out habit. Cook your own meal. You can shop once or twice a week and it much cheaper just about $150-$200 per month. You can cook cheap but healthy food like vegetables, pasta, potatoes, eggs, sandwiches, and chicken. Compare with eating in restaurant, cook your own meal is cheaper. In some grocery store there is special discount time, you can shop during that time. It save much money.

3.. Ask some of your friends to stay with you. Of course you have to discuss first with them that they should share the apartment rent cost, electricity cost, telephone cost, and daily cost. But it is common among foreign students to share. It can save much money.

4. Choose the cheaper transportation for your daily activities. Subway is a mass transportation that is most cheapest, if you take monthly ticket subscribe, you can get the discount. Some of my friends buy a bike for their daily activities is cheaper and healthier or just take a walk.

5. Make as many friends as you can. Having many friends (local or international) are great way to survive in foreign country. Take time to have vacation, make a budget for vacation trip with your friends and if they invite you to their home for vacation take it, you can learn about their culture and meet their family. It's fun.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • febriedethan profile imageAUTHOR


      8 years ago from Indonesia

      Carl, you're absolutely right, thank you for the information!

    • profile image

      Carl Madison 

      8 years ago

      Also, ask your University guidance counselor for help. Or go through a private program, which usually is cheap and helpful.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)