Survival Strategies for the Average Person
Surviving the warnings.
Seems like everywhere today we are faced with news of ultimate doom and gloom. World War 3, super volcanoes eruptions, global earthquakes, nuclear reactor meltdowns, you name it and it seems we are threatened by it. But, how many of these threats are real and how many are being put out there to simply sell survivalist junk? That's the real question and like a government worried about terrorism we, as people and of our own accord, must sort out the real threats from the imagined ones.
We don't have to spend a lot of time doing it though and it really is beyond us to sort out real threats from imagined threats based only on what information we, as people, are given by our media outlets. We simply don't get good information and what we do get is often suspect due to whatever agenda is being promoted at the time.
In the end, this is a important subject but not a hard one to figure out. Surviving a catastrophic event or severe economic or social meltdown does not have to be a back breaking endeavor. There are many things that can be done right now today to help lesson the blow of such events and these tips can even save you money during the good times.
So, what can we do?
1) Don't worry, be happy. Do not let yourself get all bent out of shape over what may or may not happen. It is so difficult to sort out real from imagined threats that contemplating too long on it can send you into paranoia. There is a lot of fear mongering in this world today. Seems like every media outlet is out to scare us. Life is too short as it is to worry about the end of the world. Many of those things that can happen (IE: Solar flares, super volcanoes, earthquakes) are outside the scope of our control anyway. In other words, the world will either end or it won't and there is not a damn thing you can do about it anyway so quit worrying.
2) Do NOT fall into the trap of spending money on 'survival solutions' or 'survival garden seeds' or on books that claim to have all the answers for you as long as you have $12.95. This is the point of much of the fear mongering today - to get you to spend your money. If the world really was going to face imminent disaster on a global scale then where are the people selling the books going to spend the money you are sending them? Think about it. There is no need for money after a global catastrophe has wiped out all governments and economies is there?
3) Have a safe place to go. This could be a farmhouse, a cottage owned by your family or even just a secluded spot to setup some tents. Remaining where you are, especially if you are a city dweller, will not be practical.The cities are going to be unlivable in the event of a total grid collapse.
The place you choose should be relatively close to a fresh water source, have ground that can be planted and have a abundance of game that you can hunt. Wouldn't hurt too much if that fresh water source was in the form of a lake with fish in it either. This will ensure your food and water on a recurring basis.
Keep the location of your safe place a secret - this is critically important both before and after any catastrophe. If many know of it then many will show up, especially those who thought you were nuts for preparing to begin with, they will be the first ones to show up. Too many people and your safe place is no longer viable.
4) Find a way to generate your own power. This is actually very easy to do. Solar generators can be put together easily enough and Youtube is full of instructional videos on everything from magnetic generators that require no fuel to run to wind mills to homemade solar panels. You name it. Generating power is probably the easiest thing we can do but we leave this to the government or some third party organization to provide for us ... it's nuts really. AVOID GAS-DRIVEN POWER GENERATORS LIKE THE PLAGUE! Ask yourself where the gas to refill it will come from, no no, solar or wind or even some other sort of generator technology that will not require man-made fossil fuels is the absolute best route to go. If you can generate your own power you have already solved the problem of heating your living space and powering most of your electrical appliances which means your freezer, etc will still work. Do not worry about generating power for things like TVs and microwaves, most of these things will not function to full potential in the absence of supporting infrastructure anyway. Keep your emergency power requirements to a minimum for what you need to heat your living space and store your food.
5) Ensure your food and water supply. This does not mean try to store enough to see you through the hardship while you sit in your armchair eating bon-bons and waiting for the government to switch everything back on. What this does mean is that you have some way to provide for yourself on a recurring and ongoing basis the food and water you and those with you will need. Gardens are good, as well as drilling your own well. If you can find someone who will do this for a straight up cash payment then you can actually keep you well a secret (important). Some states are actually taxing private citizens for wells on their property so be cautious.
6) Be prepared to defend it all! In every society there will be those whose survival tactics involve not preparing themselves and simply raiding their neighbors who have prepared. To be honest, this will probably be most people, especially in the major cities. Major cities are simply not suited for long term survival in the absence of infrastructure. Not even the water taps will work in the cities as all the water relay stations use electric pumps. If the electric grid fries, then the cities are going to go very dry.
Then there is the problem of the remnants of any government organizations that may be wandering the countryside. Former Police and Military will not be well prepared for anything like a collapse and they cannot function in the absence of government instruction so they will degenerate into roaming bands of violent thieves, rapists and murderers. They don't know how to do anything else. Avoid uniforms after the collapse as they will have no meaning and will only bring trouble.
This does not mean buy expensive and complicated high powered automatic weapons. It also does not mean buy as many rifles and handguns as you can. You can only fire one weapon at a time after all. Keep you defense capabilities simple and effective and you will do just fine. You do not need a fancy assault rifle that will break on you or has ammo that can be hard to replace in a survival situation. Buy one weapon of your choice, keep it as simple as you can and stockpile ammo for that weapon specifically. Don't forget to rotate your ammo stores routinely as ammo does have a shelf life.
Be prepared to move around as well. Mobility can save you especially if faced with a larger force bent on taking everything from you. It will not always be wise to remain in place.
Being a good neighbor...
As harsh as this may sound being to good of a neighbor can hurt your family. It is not our responsibility to look after anyone who is not an immediate member of our group. People need to be prepared and, if not, then the price will be theirs to pay.
BEWARE OF CHARITY!! It is hard, I know, to say 'no' to someone who is starving, especially if you have a good stockpile of food available. Just remember you need that stockpile to feed yourself and your family. The food you give to that poor soul who did not prepare is one less meal for your children.
We cannot help everyone, especially those who will not prepare. Trying to help everyone will only drain your resources and leave your family without. The absolute best way to help your neighbor is to ensure he does not have to help you.
The above 6 steps should prepare you for any eventuality or short term or long term crisis as well as cut your monthly food and power bills and save you money during the times of stability and working infrastructure. If nothing happens then you have wasted nothing by following the above 6 steps but if something does happen then you will be well situated to handle it and survive it.
Peace and don't let the government choose your enemies for you
If you can do these two things you can probably survive a lot better than you think you can
Can you grow your own food?
Do you know how to generate your own power long term?
A nice alternative to constantly needing bullets
A good source of self regenerating power
© 2012 Robin Olsen