Swamps and Marshes are the Worlds Best Tank Museums
After world war 2 ended there were literally thousands of tanks littering the countryside. Some were buried under roads and new buildings as shattered cities were repaired others were lost in the features of the countryside. After the decline of the Soviet Union the swamps and marshes of Eastern Europe were more welcoming to explorers, history buffs and profiteers alike. The forests and lakes released their secrets. Fantastically well preserved war machinery as shown in the attached videos. Lets hope that the fine examples pictured have found their way to museums for the public to view.
T70 pulled from a marsh
This is perhaps the most amazing vehicle I have seen. After some 60 years in the mud this Russian light tank still rolls on its tracks, the turret turns and the 45mm gun elevates and depresses.
8,226 T70s were built in 1942-43 and it was in service from 1942-48.
It had a crew of 2, weighed 9.2 tonnes and a top speed of 45kph
Captured Russian T34/76
The T34/76 was the most produced Russian tank of World War 2. Some 84,070 vehicles were built between 1940 and 1958 although these numbers include the later model T34/85. The Germans were unaware of its existence when they invaded Russia and the panzers had a nasty shock when they found that the sloped armour of the T34/76 easily bounced the German panzers 37mm and 50mm weapons of the time. The German cross indicates this particular vehicle must have been captured and used against the Russians.
This is a long but interesting video of a Stug III being recovered. Once the mud is removed the tracks and suspension begin to function again. It is amazing that the winter camouflage and markings are still intact. Feel free to fast forward to the later frames.
The Stug III was classified as an assault gun but was widely used by the Germans as a tank destroyer. Based on a panzer III chasis. Earlier models mounted a 7.5cm L43 gun. This appears to be an AUSF F model with a 7.5cm L48 Gun. 9,408 Stug III were built. Some models had a 10.5cm howitzer were designated Stu H42.