TEFL - Revision Exercises for Intermediate ESL Students
Complete the expression using the word in brackets.
1. A) I really don’t understand this new software.
B) Don’t worry, you’ll soon ____________(ropes).
2. A) We’re all worried about losing our jobs and paying the bills.
B) Yes, everyone is ____________ (boat).
3. I am finding it really difficult to keep up with my colleagues in class. The course is too difficult. I really feel ______________ (depth).
4. Marta always said she wanted to go to Germany, but when I suggested we book our tickets she____________ and changed her mind (feet).
5. No one wanted to say anything until Nick _____________ by chatting about the job (ice).
6. Alex is ______________ at the moment. He won’t talk to me or even look at me (shoulder).
7. Noticing that the floor was damp was just the _____________. There was also extensive damage to the walls and ceiling due to the constant rain (iceberg).
Complete the sentences with on, in, about, of, for.
- She’s not afraid ___ anything.
- We’re not interested ____ politics.
- The whole museum is full ____ bad art.
- My boss insists ____ giving me more and more work to do.
- What are you talking _______?
- He’s been dreaming ________ that holiday for ages.
- The kid is scared ___ of his own shadow.
- You need to focus ___ getting better.
- My parents are involved ___ charity work.
- They’re thinking ___ leaving early.
Choose the correct alternative
- I didn’t use to / used to like cooking, but now I make meals for my girlfriend every day.
- She’s getting used to speaking / didn’t get used to speaking Chinese, but it is a slow process and she still makes mistakes.
- I only eat a little / few chocolate each week.
- The sun shone / was shining when I woke up this morning.
- I haven’t eaten / haven’t been eating since this morning. I’m starving!
- She’s worked / been working all morning, she’s exhausted.
- They were very excited about the trip to Denmark as they had planned it / had been planning it for years.
- She had just left / had just been leaving by the time you arrived.
- By this tomorrow I will finish / will have finished painting the room.
10. In 20 more years we will be living / are living in a very technologically advanced world.
11. A) There is only beef or chicken left on the menu.
B) In that case, I’ll have / I’m going to have the chicken.
12. I’m doing the course in order to / so as not to get a better job.
13. I can’t stand watching / to watch reality T.V.
14. Brad Pitt is so / such a good actor
15. If I haven’t / hadn’t eaten that fish I wouldn’t feel so sick.
16. Thousands and thousands of old T.V.s have already been / were already being thrown away.
17. I shouldn’t have argued / ought to have argued with him, now he’s not speaking to me.
18. I don’t normally let / make my daughter go to nightclubs, not till she’s 18 anyway.
19. She told me / said me not to raise my voice.
20. We’re having / we have the sitting room painted.
Use a phrasal verb in the correct form
- I am really_______________ (look) to my trip to Colombia.
- They _________ (give) their old C.D. player.
- Dad _________ (give) smoking 10 years ago.
- I usually __________ (get) a lot of magazine when I am sitting in the doctor’s waiting room.
- We ____________ (get) over the weekend to discuss our classroom presentation.
- My uncle _________ (turn) at my house last Saturday, so we ate out.
- He ___________ (break) with his girlfriend after 2 years.
- I ___________ (come) a very interesting article on climate change online.
- She _________ (take) her mother. They look and act alike.
10. He’s __________ (take) paragliding. I think he’s crazy!
- 1. didn’t use to
- 2. getting used to
- 3. a little
- 4. was shining
- 5. haven’t eaten
- 6. been working
- 7. had been planning it
- 8. had just left
- 9. will have finished
- 10. will be living
- 11. I’ll have
- 12. in order to
- 13. watching
- 14. such
- 15. hadn’t
- 16. have already been
- 17. shouldn’t have argued
- 18. let
- 19. told me
- 20. we’re having
Answers - Idioms
- Learn the ropes
- In the same boat
- Out of my depth
- Got cold feet
- Broke the ice
- Giving me the cold shoulder
- Tip of the iceberg
Answers - Prepositions
Answers - Phrasal Verbs
- looking forward
- gave away
- gave up
- get through
- get together
- turned up
- broke up
- came across
- takes after
10. took up
Other Teaching Aids
© 2013 Muttface