ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

US Tax Issues for United States Expatriates With Dual Citizenship

Updated on September 14, 2012

Dual citizen options

Do you have your feet in more than one country?

You may have dual citizenship, or dual residency. You may live in one country and have citizenship in another. You may earn income in both. What do you do - and how do you file taxes?

By the way, world wide income is the name for everything that you earned over the year - everywhere. Most countries won't expect that you pay taxes on money that was earned in Country B, unless the grand total is considered extraordinary, and then everyone want to take a little bit more. What I earn in Croatia is taxed and paid in Croatia, what I earn from Hub pages (or anyone else) in the USA is recognized - and taxes separately - after reaching a certain minimal level. I will go into more details on that in a future Hub.

Dual Citizenship is an Option


Children and Spouse

If you want to be together wherever you go, dual citizenship is the way to go. Having a passport into the country you are entering (or re-entering) into is the surest way of admittance into that country. No country will expressly forbid entry to its own citizens, barring some other express reason.


I gave birth to both my children in a foreign country. Born abroad, they were automatically qualified to become US Citizens because their mother (me) is an American citizen. All I had to do was to visit the US Embassy and bring them, with their father (both parents should be legally present) so that the embassy can see that these children really do exist! At that point, they received a document called Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which is a type of birth certificate. It is a beautiful, rainbow colored document (to discourage counterfeiting, I believe).

We applied using the US passport form online (see link) and bringing two 5x5 cm photos for their passports. The European ID has different photo dimensions, so be sure to check so you don't end up with the wrong size. The cost of applying for a passport is approximately $100 USD, payable in cash or credit card. The embassy does not want any documents in another foreign language nor will receive foreign currency. When you go to the embassy, you are in America - and god bless America!

Husband or Wife - your Spouse

The husband or wife of an American citizen may absolutely apply for citizenship. If he or she wishes. It is a bit of a hoop ring to jump through, with two trips to the US required within a relatively short time frame.

Another option besides citizenship is middle of the road solution called the Green Card.

The United States of America

The United States is somewhat unusual because it does not recognize any other citizenship other than its own.

For example, being a US citizen I am welcome to get European citizenry, only that the US will fail to recognize it!

Countries that DO recognize dual citizenship, like Croatia for example, take a more flexible approach. Their reasoning? "that silly US of A won't recognize us. But that doesn't bother us. Go ahead and keep your US citizenship if you like, and if you qualify, you can become a citizen here, as well."

In traveling to the US, bring your US passport to enter the United States. In returning to your new expat home, bring your foreign (other) passport with you to be admitted back into the country of your destination.

Living in the USA - or not

Would you ever live overseas?

See results


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • alocsin profile image


      6 years ago from Orange County, CA

      I'm wondering how many dual-national citizens live in the U.S. Voting this Up and Useful for those folks.

    • EuroCafeAuLait profile imageAUTHOR

      Anastasia Kingsley 

      6 years ago from Croatia, Europe

      Hi, R.J.,

      Like yourself, I had never heard of dual citizenship until a few years ago. But then I heard of triple-citizenship - Italian/Brazilian - American. But that is a little extreme, IMHO. Thanks for commenting.

    • EuroCafeAuLait profile imageAUTHOR

      Anastasia Kingsley 

      6 years ago from Croatia, Europe

      There are exceptions to the rule. Some countries, like Germany and Austria, are dead against it - you are either with them or against them. For those of us with online income from the US and wanting to be able to vote where you actually live, it's a good way to go. Glad you liked it, there may be more hubs on similar topics like this in the future. Thanks for commenting, ECAL

    • profile image

      R. J. Lefebvre 

      6 years ago


      I did not know you can have dual citizenship, learn something everyday. Thanks for the info, your hub was clear and interesting.



    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)