- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
Teaching kids to go green
The mantra these days is Reuse, Recycle and Reduce. This is something that needs to be inculcated in kids from an early age. There are many simple practices that can be taught to kids, these include various aspects involving using eco friendly cleaning products, using light and power saving techniques, saving material for reuse, using more of green materials and so on.
Teach your kids, eco-friendly habits by implementing these simple steps:
1. Don’t rinse before using the dishwasher: Make sure that you teach your kids to save water by avoiding rinsing and instead putting the dishes directly in the dishwasher, it saves time, water and the effort that goes into cleaning the dishes.
2. Print on both sides: Tell your kids not to waste paper when they take print outs by using both sides. This will reduce the paper usage and also the wastage of paper.
3. Buy eco-friendly craft materials: Kids enjoy coloring and craft work, buy recycled paper, notebooks, scrap books and coloring materials for your kids and encourage them to reuse various objects and items for their projects.
4. Get water in reusable bottles: Let your kids refrain from buying bottled water, by carrying it from home in reusable bottles. You can provide flavored water if they don’t like the tap water at home or send boiled water with them.
5. Close taps: When brushing, when showering and when washing yourself close the tap when not in use, you will save 5-8 gallons of water doing this every day.
6. Encourage online directories: Let your kids make use of online directories, online blogs, online tools rather than using paper books, scrap books and more to store content or access content for use.
7. Yard sale or swap parties: Let your kids practice reusing items by having swap parties or yard sales which will allow others to get handy items and also save money as well as extend the life of products that are purchased every time.
8. Use online courses, e-books, learning: Make use of online content and e-learning tools over buying books which will get disposed of sooner or later. This will make it easier for the kids to dispose of the content after learning, share it online and also encourage them to sell old books through text swapping or resale options available both online and offline.
Each little step is a drop in the ocean to making our world more eco-friendly and saving for a greener world tomorrow.