The Dead Sea: Facts and Figures
The Dead Sea or Salt Sea has been attracting tourists all over the world for centuries. It is the second most salty water surface of the world. Study shows that its water is 8.6 times more salty than usual ocean water. It has a water density of 1.240kg/Liter which can float someone on water surface. Its mud and salt often used as cosmetics and herbal medicine due to their beneficial-for-health nature.
The sea is called “dead” as its extreme salty water is not suitable for any living creature. Therefore, almost no living creatures like fish or water plants are found in the sea.
- The Dead Sea is not actually a sea. It is a salt water lake.
- In ancient Egypt, people used mud of Dead Sea during mummification of the deceased.
- Dead Sea is the lowest point in earth. It is 423 meter below the sea level.
- Dead Sea is considered as the connection between the desert and the settled land in the Middle East.
- The most salty water surface of the world is not the Dead Sea. It is Lake Assal Djibouti in Africa.
- Potassium is manufactured from Dead Sea is the primary fertilizer in many countries of the world.
- The Jordan River flows into Dead Sea.
- The "Road 90", the road which run along with the shore of Dead Sea, is the lowest road of the world at 393 meter below sea level.
- The salty water of Dead Sea is said to be useful for skin problems.
- The other names of Dead Sea are The Sea of Arabah, The Sea of lot, The Eastern Sea etc.
- The great philosopher Aristotle mentioned Dead Sea in his writings.
- One popular phenomenon behind the name “Dead Sea” is that it only takes water from Jordan river but don’t give any water. Something only takes is “Dead”.
- The salt found from Dead Sea is much saltier than usual Table Salt.
- The Dead Sea is located is the deepest point of Great Rift Valley. Around half a billion migratory birds fly over Great Rift Valley in spring and autumn season.
- The Dead Sea region remains almost dry round the year. Less than ten centimeter rain falls every year in the region.
- The peninsula at the southern part of the Dead Sea is called “Al- Lisan” meaning “The Tongue” in Arabics.
- People can effortlessly float on the surface of the Dead Sea due to it is highly salt water. The density of the water is more the density of human body. As a result of that, human body become buoyant and floats on the surface of water.
Dead Sea Products
- The bathing in water of Dead Sea is often called “Spa” as the water contains many minerals which give a natural relaxing feeling, nourish the skin and ease rheumatic pain.
- The water of the Dead Sea is mostly filled with minerals like potassium, calcium, iodine and bromide.
- The Dead Sea is called “The Stinky Sea” centuries ago.
- The mineral Asphalt often rises on the surface of the Dead Sea. The Greeks often called it “The Lake Asphalts” due to this strange nature.
- In the Bible, it is said that the Dead Sea will alive one day and will be filled with marine life.
- The “Dead Sea Scrolls” are found in 20th century.
- The age of the Dead Sea is 3 million years.