- Education and Science»
- Elementary, Middle School & High School
Tips on How to Deal With Exam Nerves
Exams can be quite nerve-wrecking and stressing events that one would encounter. Nervous is the most common behavior when a person is about to sit for an exams. Here are some tips to help you keep those nerves about taking an exam under control.
It's important to remember that exam is a test of learning and understanding, not memory. Examiners want to see evidence that you have understand the knowledge you learn and that you are able to develop a reasoned argument rather than memorizing course notes and textbook facts.
1. Find out what is involved in each of the exam you are going to sit for such as
- Where and when it will take place
- How much time is allowed?
- How many question asked
2. Prepare by finding out what is required in each course. Study a lot before the exam and make sure you understand thoroughly what you are studying.
3. Organize yourself on the night before the exam. Check your stationaries and equipment such as your pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, scientific calculator, etc.
4. Remember to also bring your watch, this allow you to time yourself during the exam.
5. Eat sensibly so your brain can function well during exam and drink plenty of water. This is because dehydration will make you tired and hence makes you lose focus.
6. Plan your own work plan on which area you should focus on for each course
7. Create a revision plan and make sure to stick with it
8. Allow yourself some leisure time each day to relax your nerves
9. Pace yourself and allow yourself time to answer all of the question
10. Have some fresh air; take time to relax before the exam
11. Don't panic and always think positive!
It is natural to feel nervous before an exam. Hence, the more you prepared the more at ease you will feel and also makes it easier to conquer your nerves before the exam.