Opportunities in Nashua, New Hampshire
Greater Boston Area
Just about 40 minutes by car and 35 miles from the border of Boston, Nashua on the Merrimack River is the second largest city in New Hampshire. It is also Number 94 on Money.com's list of the Top 100 Best Places to Live in Amerca.
With a population near 90,000 people, Nashua has been included New Hampshire's southern economic projects as an important part of the larger Boston area. It's been named a Best Place to Live in America several times, as well as one of the safest American cities. Textiles as a foundation of economy have largely been replaced with technology in Nashua with such organizations as the Nashua Corporation (PCs and disks), BAE Systems, and Hewlett-Packard.
Helping all this along is the ongoing economic development and rebuilding in the older downtown area of the city, a set of projects undertaken my many cities in order to continue to grow. New downtown residences, commercial companies, entertainment venues, and various dining places are increasing yearly. The Nashua River is also in tight focus for development into a prestigious waterfront.
Across the city and state borders of Boston MA, Nashua on the Merrimack River is the second largest city in New Hampshire.
Nashua on the Merrimack River
Author and poet of the Beat Generation, Jack Kerouac was born in Massachusetts in the town of Lowell, a few miles southeast of Nashua, New Hampshire (see map below). He was a colorful character with a long and complex backstory that began writing about his own life at age 12. His 1957 On The Road became one of the Time Magazine 100 Best All Time Novels.
The Kerouac family grave site is located in Nashua and books listed below trace the Kerouac family lineage from French Canadian origins to New England, specifically Lowell and Nashua.
Lowell MA celebrates Kerouac's birthday and work and connects visitors with tours to the nearby Nashua locations relevant to the celebrations,
Jack Kerouac and Connections in Nashua
Nashua New Hampshire Metro Area
- Anheuser-Busch Companies
Tours of Anheuser Busch
- Canobie Lake Park
- City Arts Nashua
- Haunted House & Halloween Event in Nashua, NH | New Hampshire Haunts & MA
Fright Kingdom Haunted House & Halloween Event in Nashua, NH. Amazing detail and very professional sets are what makes us unique. Our 'FrightKingdom' is guaranteed to please both the eye, and your thrill for fear factor! We are one of the prime N
- Nashua Community Concert Association
- The Nashua National Fish Hatchery is located in Nashua, NH and is part of the Northeast Region U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Nashua River Rail Trail, Massachusetts Biking Trails
Nashua River Rail Trail Rail Trails Washington Dc Biking Virginia Bike Trails Virginia
Great American Downtown
Nashua Transit began as the Nashua Horse Drawn Railroad back in 1886.
City Bus Systems
Mass transit is made available in Nashua NH by the Nashua Transit System, also called NTS and CityBus, with 10 fixed routes and a dedicated After 7 evening system. City Lift serves senior citizens and ADA eligible individuals..
This system was named one of the 10 Most-Improved Transit Systems in America in the mid 2000s by Metro Magazine. In addition, NTS offers specially dedicated ADA paratransit for the disabled population and anyone over 60 years old, called City Lift. The company has been in business since 1886, when they ran horse-drawn trolleys, and now has Markie the Meerkat as its mascot. When you visit the website, you can use its Google Route Planning service as well.
In Nashua, military veterans, those ages 60 and over, and those with Medicare cards are considered Honored Citizens and charged a bus fare of only 50 cents.
Nashua Municipal Airport in Nashua and Manchester-Boston Municipal Airport in Manchester service the local area.
Trains and Light Rail
Boston's Massachusetts Bay Transportation company operates buses and trains as well as subways and light rail lines in and out of Boston and surrounds. One rail line runs from Boston to nearby Lowell MA, and the company plans to extend it all the way to Nashua. This will add to Nashua's ability to transport a growing population down the line all the way to Boston for work, entertainment, and shopping.
Largest Local Employers in Nashua NH
- Southern New Hampshire Health
- St. Joseph Hospital and Trauma Center
- BAE Systems
- BAE Systems: Information and Electronics Division
Nashua offers over 17,000 job listings on a consistent basis, updated constantly at Indeed.com.
Top Hiring Companies
- BAE Systems: Member of NASA Commercial Crew
- Raytheon: Member of NASA Commercial Crew
- Lahey Health
- CVS Pharmacies
- Stewart Healthcare
- Staples Office Supplies and Equipment
- Dell Computers
- I-Robot Corporation
- MIT Lincoln Laboratory
- Philips Petroleum
- Elliot Hospital
- University of Massachusetts at Lowell
Most-Advertised Job Openings
- Registered Nurses
- Physician Assistants/Nurse Practitioners
- Medical and Dental Assistants
- Software Engineers
- Electronics Technicians
- Staples Technology Jobs
- Pharmacy Technicians
- IT Project Managers
- Sales Representatives
- Managers and Assistant Managers
The highest demand jobs in the area that are high-wage and require trained skills are in the following list, according to the Boston Labor information departments.
Job titles below listed in bold text have been in high demand since 2010, according to the local Chamber of Commerce and the US Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Retail Salespersons
- Information and Record Clerks
- Health Diagnosing and Treating Practitioners
- IT Leaders
- Computer Specialists
- Truck Drivers with CDL Licenses
- Business Operations Specialists
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Dentists and Assistants
- Financial Specialists and Clerks
Higher Education Opportunities
- Hesser College -- in Manchester. Career oriented training, hands-on training, and a wide variety of occupational fields.
- Nashua Community College
- Rivier College - A Catholic College in Nashua, NH Offering Liberal Arts & Professional Programs -- Founded by the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary, Rivier College in Nashua is a 4-year coed Catholic College with programs in liberal arts education at undergraduate and graduate levels.
- St Joseph Academic Center
- Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU)
© 2011 Patty Inglish