- Education and Science»
- Geography, Nature & Weather
Types of Tourism in India
Types of Tourist Resorts In India
There are several types of tourism in India. Here we are going to see in detail the types of tourist resorts in India. Depending on the location in various geographic regions, and possibility for different tourist activities and particular characteristics of the location, the tourist resorts in India can be classified into several types. Let us have a quick look at the classification and then we will go into more details.
- Hill Resorts
- Cultural Centers
- Adventure Tourism Centers
- Beach Resorts
Every mountain region and hill area can be put under this category. In India there are several Hill Resorts and they were again classified into more categories. The most gorgeous Hill Resorts in India are concentrated in Himalayas which are in the norther part of the country. The hills in the north east are also remarkable for their beauty. The Western Ghats in the west, Vindhyas and the Satpuras in the Central India are too centers for amazing Hill Resorts.
Previously, I made a mention of further classification of this category and that is as follows. Those mountainous regions between 2100 meters to 3500 meters above the mean sea level have the first category of resorts. Second Category is the resorts at medium heights and lies between 1200 meters to 2100 meters. Most of the Hill Resorts in India are in this category. The last category of Hill Resorts lie at the altitudes 800 meters and the 1200 meters. Few Resorts are located in the third category and very few are under the category one.
No bias, but the truth is, I believe, India is very rich with so many cultural centers. The tourists can spend plenty of time in heritage tourism in India. They enjoy every amazing place in this category. First and foremost, places to be covered under heritage tourism in India are the temples. Well, of all faiths ofcourse. The other places of Heritage Tourism include gorgeous Forts, beautiful memorials and other ancient ruins. Gardens as well are amazing places to be covered under this tourism. Every corner of India, the tourists can see these centers.
Adventure Tourism Centers
When we say adventure many activities of thrill comes to our mind. Some very common activities include skiing, trekking, mountaineering, water games, hiking, camping, and well the list goes on. However, this tourism is never so developed in India. But, there is a large scope to improve a lot. Let us look into some possible locations in India where this adventure tourism would be great.
- Mountaineering: Simply speaking it is mountain climbing. It is all about reaching the highest point of big mountains. In India this is popular and the reason for the same is the World’s tallest peak, Mt. Everest. The Himalayas in the norther region of India has many high peaks which attract many mountaineers. Some high peaks in the region of Himalayas are Pir Panjal, Zaskar, Karakoram and Ladakh. There are many institutions of mountaineering in India to assist in guiding, sponsoring and organizing the expeditions of mountaineering.
- Cave Expedition: There are abundant caves in India. Many caves have rock cut temples and they need much development to get turned into World class tourists’ destinations. Ajanta and Ellora are the most commonly heard names under this cave tourism. The other caves that must be covered under this tourism includes Pachmahri Hills, Khandagiri and Uraygiri, Cherapunji, Jaintia Hills, etc. Every region has its specialty. Varying from rock sculpture to the rock paintings every location proves it is no less in beautiful architecture than another cave tourist destination.
- Trekking: Walking with a backpack for fun and recreations over long distance is trekking. India have some good trekking routes in the regions of Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh of north eastern parts and Ladakh, Uttaranchal of northern part of India. More fun of trekking comes when we choose more rugged routes and remote terrain that have hardly any transport, going through the passes and coming across any extreme weather conditions.
- Water Sports: Rafting means the activity where we use an inflatable raft and row on a river. This is most important of all the sports in water, played in India. Locations like Rishikesh, Manali and Ladakh having rivers Ganga, Beas and Indus respectively have good facilities for rafting. Also, there is possibility to develop more locations for rafting in India.
- Winter Sports: The Himalayas in the northern part of India is center for great skiing. The snowy slopes are plenty in the region of Himalayas and skiing is totally exciting.
India has a very long coastal line and there are many beaches along the strip. The main beach resorts are concentrated in the regions, Goa, Kerala, Maharashtra, and other coastal states of India. The fact is, the beach tourism in India is yet to develop and there is lot of scope. And, the existing beach resorts are simply gorgeous and they attract numerous tourists across the world.
© 2014 Dilip Chandra