Best Places for High Demand Teaching Jobs
Teach in America
Earning a Master's Degree of Education is an advantage, because many US States require their teachers to possess master's degrees. For example, in Ohio, a student may graduate with a Bachelor's in Education and teach for up to 10 years without the master's, but that 10 years is for earning a master's degree or a teacher loses his job.
Some job seekers wonder about the advisability of returning to school to obtain advanced degrees, and in what fields.
By the end of December 2016, teaching advertised online for Teach for America alone increased significantly and will likely continue to do so throughout North America in a number of public and private organizations.
Teach For America Mission and Jobs Across the USA
Teacher Job Search Resources
Teacher Job Search Resources
By February 2017, online advertised teaching jobs in a variety of organizations numbered over 242,000 in America.
I suggest the following:
- Considering a move to an area where greater numbers of teaching jobs are located,
- Applying for employment with online K-12 sites or with Phoenix University online or other such distance learning companies, and
- Applying for tutor positions with professional tutoring companies.
Some US school systems increased jobs 2014 - 2017 as well as buildings, especially in the fast growing cities of Texas. The most openings for mainstream teachers occur frequently in the metro areas of New York City, Boston, Dallas-Fort Worth, and Fairfax County, Virginia. Many other certified teachers are needed in tutoring, substitute teaching, and Special Education K-12.
Open Job Locations For Teachers
The cities in which the most teaching jobs, Pre-K thru 12 and Special Education, were located on the date of search included:
- Columbia University and NYC School System, New York
- Boston Public Schools (Massachusetts)
- Fairfax County, Virginia
- Tarrant County, Texas (Fort Worth Area, Texas)
- Elk Grove Unified School District (Illinois)
- California Virtual Academies (online)
- Tuscon Unified School District (Arizona)
- Albuquerque Public Schools (New Mexico)
- Philadephia School District
- Oakland Unified School District (California)
- Dallas Independent School District
- Tacoma School District 310 (Washington State)
- Everett Public School (Washington State)
- Inner City Education Foundation - Los Angeles
- Houston Independent School Disdtrict (Texas)
- Windham School District (Texas)
- WyzAnt Tutoring at http://www.wyzant.com/home.aspx PH: 1- 877-999-2681
- Kaplan Tutors
- TakeLessons.com - music - http://www.getmusicjobs.com/
- Pedia Staff - language intervention - http://www.pediastaff.com
- Tutor Nation - http://www.tutornation.com
NOTE: Language and Communications Disorders intervention in the schools and learning clinics seems a growing job classification overall and additional training in that field helps with required teaching certificates for lucrative employment.
Best Locations For High Demand Teaching Jobs In K-12
Over 242,000 teaching positions are advertised across the Internet regularly in 2017 on Indeed.com and SimplyHired. search engines that crawl all online job listings everywhere, continually. These jobs include positions in public and private institutions and companies of many kinds in addition to K-12 school systems.
Teaching Job Trends
From 2008 - 2009, the number of job postings from all sources on the Internet reached an increase of 78% for teaching positions at all levels. Jobs continued to increase through the end of 2016. The most frequently needed positions are:
- Teacher I (a teacher in a specific system, i.e. Teacher I, II, or III)
- Music Teacher
- Teacher Ii
- Assistant Center Director
- Associate Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- Piano Teacher
- Teacher Iii
- Voice Teacher
- Substitute Teacher
- School Based SLP - Speech and communication disorders intervention
- Teacher in ministry organizations and church schools
- Lead Teacher
- Early Childhood Teacher
NOTE: An additional 7,500 tutoring jobs were posted at a wide range of salaries throughout 2009, increasing to approximately 24,000 such jobs at the end of 2013.This is an increase of over threefold and many jobs of this sort are increasing in want ads across the country.
Reasons for the increase in tutoring jobs include:
- Federally mandated tutoring for students falling below standardized testing goals,
- Parents' desire to stave off learning loss in their children during summers, and
- Parents' goals for having their children increase their scores on the SAT and ACT college entrance-type exams.
DAYCARE/EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION
Some teaching positions listed are related to daycare centers and may or may not make use of a certified teacher's abilities and/or pay at the wage levels of the local school systems. In fact, many preschool teachers are paid Federal Minimum Wage, or State Minimum Wage, if it is higher than the federal number. A few preschools do, however, pay higher wages and teach children reading, printing, and arithmetic before they enter Kindergarten.
OTHER VENUES FOR TEACHERS
Additional teacher-related positions were advertised for charter schools and businesses. Businesses increasingly operate their own in-house educational systems for ongoing professional development.
Such nontraditional programs can go so far as to include ESOL and GED classes on-site for immigrant and native workers. In fact, Kroger Grocery stores in certain towns offer this educational service on site within their stores. Thus, teaching jobs occur inside and outside of the traditional K-12 school system.
© 2009 Patty Inglish MS