- Education and Science
How To Count To 12 With Only One Hand!
Can you count to twelve using the fingers of one hand only?
Did you ever wonder why our ancestors did things in twelves all the time (a dozen eggs, 12 inches in a foot, etc)?
Presented here is a 'secret' known to our forefathers, but largely lost in our modern world of computers and calculators.
The secret is in fact, simple: use your fingers...
Ok, ok, I know what you're thinking: "well I knew that - duh!"
"But wait!", I say.
Have a look at your hands for a moment.
Yes, 4 fingers and a thumb.
Boring, I know, but have a closer look at those fingers.
In case you haven't noticed before, they bend in the middle and as you can see, are made up of 3 bones each - and that's the secret to counting to 12.
Remember that other thing sticking out from your hand, your thumb?
That's the second part of the puzzle.
In this "How To", you'll learn how to use your thumb in combination with your finger bones, to count up to twelve ...and beyond.
If you're clever, you can either use your other hand for handling whatever you are counting, or you can count up the number of "12s" you have made with the first hand!
Photo credit: Hands, courtesy Flickr.
Time required: 1 minute
Cost: Costs nothing!
- 1 hand
1. Place your thumb on the tip of your first finger - count "1"
2. Move your thumb to the tip of your second finger - count "2"
3. Continue across your fingers, counting as you go
4. When you get to your fourth finger, go back to the first finger, but move your thumb down to the middle bone, between the two knuckles
5. Count across the middles and when you get to the end, bring your thumb back to the first finger and down to the bone closest to your palm
6. When you get to your little finger for the last time, you will be at "12" - if not, then you either can't count or you have some fingers missing...
7. If you are still stuck, then you can always enter the modern era by getting an abacus!