How To Kick-Start Your Creativity
Have you ever heard people say "I'm not a creative person" or "Creative people always have such great ideas." Worse, have you heard someone say "That's a stupid idea!"
These negative statements are false! Everyone is born a creative being. Creativity is how we learn to solve problems from the time we are babies, like learning to walk by holding on to the edge of the sofa. What ends up happening is that we are fed the idea that we aren't and can't be creative. And we believe it.
Each of us has the light of creativity within us, waiting to burst forth. Whether we all realize it or not, we use our creativity at different levels all the time. But we may be frustrated because we lack the confidence in our ability to create.
If you need some tips for kick-starting your creativity, I've gathered some of my own favorites here on this page. Try them. Enjoy them. Come back and let me know if they helped!
Some people see things and ask, Why? I dream things which never were and ask, Why not?
Unleash Your Creativity!
First ~ Unblock Your Creativity
- If you can't think, go for a walk. A change of atmosphere is good for you and gentle exercise helps shake up the brain cells.
- Note the times of day when you are most creative and structure your day to make the best use of your use of creative energy. Periodically, experiment with changing your schedule.
- Relax into your creative self. Paying attention to the breath, a sound or an image will calm the body and quiet the mind. Experiment with different focusing techniques. Take a walk in nature. Eliminate desk clutter. Do a preparatory ritual or chant. Light a candle. Offer a prayer. Sing a song. Invoke your muse. Practice mindfulness. Sit in silence. Enjoy yourself!
- Take a nap! You know when you need one. Could it be a lack of sleep that's been making you feel irritable lately? A 15 minute nap can be great for your health, restful to your mind, and can energize your creativity. It may even release the creative solution you've been looking for. Try it!
- Time for a stretch! - When was the last time you enjoyed a full body stretch, accompanied by a few deep breaths? Try it, it is absolutely invigorating. While you're at it, why not do some ergonomic exercises along with the stretch? Flex those fingers and arms, exercise those eyes! Try some Yoga too!
- Take some time everyday to just relax. You can use meditation if you like to meditate. Don't make any plans, pay any bills, nothing. Just do nothing for a little while. Let your mind just rest.
Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.
More Tips To Free Your Creativity
- Try something new. Try going to work a different way, taking a walk in a different park or something like taking up a new class in something you have always wanted to learn. This will help engage your mind.
- Read something new. If you usually read fiction; pick up something non-fiction - or vice versa. Challenge yourself to try something different. Read a biography. Learn origami.
- Brainstorm. Set a time limit of 30 minutes and ask yourself a question, such as "How can I..." Write down as many ideas as you can come up with in that time. Don't stop to read what you've written or to edit them!! Keep writing down new ideas. You'll be surprised at the flow once you start.
- Always carry a small notebook and a pencil around with you to capture those ideas that come "out of the blue." You'll want to keep them! You may not always want them, but they could spur other ideas ~ you just never know.
- Play like a kid. This is one of the best ways to relax, don't you think? Color with crayons and a coloring book (a personal favorite), play ball with the dog, swing on the swing set in the park. Let that pent up positive energy from your creative spirit within manifest into something playful and fun.
Favorite Links for Inspiring Creativity
- Zen Habits - Simple Productivity
Zen Habits is one of the Top 100 blogs on the Internet, and covers: achieving goals, productivity, being organized, GTD, motivation, eliminating debt, saving, getting a flat stomach, eating healthy, simplifying, living frugal, parenting, happiness, a
- Creative Instigation
Creativity Tips and Other Fun Stuff from Jan Sokoloff Harness
- How Creativity Keeps Us Ageless - Beliefnet.com
Four tips to unleash your creative energies and counter the effects of aging in the process.
- Creativity for Life!
Great articles and resources to help you live more creatively every day!