jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Great Flower Gardens that don't cost a Fortune?

1. RKHenry profile image78
    RKHenryposted 9 years ago

Great Flower Gardens that don't cost a Fortune?

2. 2uesday profile image81
    2uesdayposted 8 years ago

The cheapest way to have a flower garden is to grow the plants from seed. Some flowers are easier to grow from seed than others.

Flowers are classified as annuals perenials and bi-annuals. Annuals are usually the easiest to grow as they flower in the same year as you sow the seeds but they only last for one year then they die. However if you let them go to seed next year the seedlings will fill the area with flowers. Some flowers are good at setting seed in the garden. Others are best if you collect the seed heads and store the seeds n a cool dry place over the winter then sow the seeds in seed trays in the spring. You then transplant them when they are strong enough to survive in the garden and the weather is suitable.

Aqualiga is a good plant to try,as it seeds freely, cornflowers are easy to grow, love-in-a-mist and candytuft. If all else fails sunflowers in different varieties are the simplest of all.

3. frankwiggler profile image69
    frankwigglerposted 8 years ago

Another factor that greatly affects how plenty and blooming a flower garden is, is the fertility of the garden soil. There are 3 basic soil nutrient that flowering plants need to thrive. Phosphate, Phosphorus and Nitrogen. Phosphates which is the that's crucial for plant strong roots and plenty flowers. Nitrogen is mainly responsible for foliage growth, flowers and fruits of plants. Potassium that aids in plant growth, immune system and overall health of plants. A favorite specie of gardeners and farmers to be used as composting worms or gardening worms to produce worm casting which is potent with all the 3 essential nutrients are Red Wiggler worms or Eisenia Foetida:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Using-Red-Worms … g-Worm-Tea

4. wordsmith1956 profile image60
    wordsmith1956posted 7 years ago

I have fantastic gardens that haven't cost a lot because I beg other gardeners for their "thinnings" from their perennial gardens and I pick up end-of-the-season perennials from greenhouses, garden centers and even Wal-Mart if they look healthy.  It has taken a long time to get my gardens looking this fabulous, but it hasn't cost me much.

Good luck!

5. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 7 years ago

Harvesting seeds from your spent flowers is an economical way to have a thriving garden. You can also take perennial cuttings from a friend or neighbor and start them in pots using a rooting hormone.

working