how to file a continuos for petition to the clerk of court

  1. profile image45
    christyoxleyposted 7 years ago

    how to file a continuos for petition to the clerk of court

  2. TheLawyerLink profile image58
    TheLawyerLinkposted 7 years ago

    Are you representing yourself, christy?
    Are you asking, "How do I file to have a court date (or something else) continued to a later date?"

    If so, you prepare a document called a Motion for Continuance.  The top of it has the style of the case (jurisdiction, parties, cause number), then the title "Motion for Continuance"

    The body of the document (called a pleading) will state something like, "Comes now the petitioner, (name), and requests the Court continue the hearing now scheduled for (date, time) to (new date, time), for the reason that (insert your reason, like, "petitioner has a previously scheduled appointment she cannot reschedule.")  Petitioner has notified the attorney for Respondent and moves the court for this continuance without objection by Respondent.

    There are many online samples of the way a pleading is written in your jurisdiction.  Most jurisdictions have their own style for the wording of a pleading that courts recognize as the traditional wording.

    Also, if you are representing yourself (not a good idea, btw), the clerk of the court is usually very helpful for questions like this.  Just give him/her a call and ask when you are uncertain.  Even lawyers call the clerk for certain questions.

    Finally, your jurisdiction undoubtedly has its own website where you can find a plethora of information, forms, rules, etc.  Check it out.