ALL students LEFT behind?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (17 posts)
  1. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I've noticed that most every left-leaning person 'round here has responded to most every issue raised relating to problem behavior with "the answer is education."

Just wondering if those of you of the leftward persuasion would ever substitute anything for "the answer is education" and when and why (and if anyone sees what I'm getting at).

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I definitely see what you're getting at, but then again, I don't lean to the left in the slightest.  Come to think of it, though, my Dad (when he was alive and I was growing up a real handful) must have believed "The answer is education".  I remember gettin' educated several times with a razor strap and (as I got a bit older) twice with a left hook.

Trust me, that education works!big_smile

1. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My father, too, believed that 'the board of education applied to the seat of understanding,' was the best policy, and no child was ever left behind. We all gained full understanding.big_smile

We were well educated at home, and went on to run our own businesses.

3. toby26 profile image40
    toby26posted 14 years ago

I believe the person who said "education is the answer" to almost everything is "almost" right. Reason being that with education, people are knowing more things and hence they become smarter and not easily being foul at.

4. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Programs such as No Child Left Behind are dismal failures in some areas.  It is not because teachers did not try, but public school education is just very flawed.  I even went to a public school that performed better than many in my state, but if it had not been up to my own determination I would not have learned much of what I needed to know. 

Education begins at home, and at a young age you need to get involved in your kids learning beyond the class room.  I did a large amount of reading above and beyond what my teachers gave out, which was a key factor for why I excelled in academics.  By high school I was taking AP courses through my own determination and will to be there.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Not being anywhere close to left or right, I too think the answer is education. But not the kind of education our kids receive in schools - that are designed to indoctrinate, and not what already indoctrinated parents "educate" them either.

Blinds leading blinds just come to the end we are watching now...

1. Davinagirl3 profile image58
      Davinagirl3posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The problem with kids in America is that a lot of them aren't educated by anyone... except maybe the television.  When I was a kid, a belt "whoopin'" was a form of education.  I don't know if I will spank my daughter, or not, but she will be educated.  I will not do her the disservice of letting her raise herself.

6. SweetiePie profile image81

Everyone has a different idea about doctrines, and surprisingly people can even learn if their opinions are different than ours.  To some degree people will never agree on anything you know.  There are some pretty impressive people who educate their children well.  We all have our own propaganda.

7. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Is education the most important? Sure. I think most of what students learn in school they forget, and some of it isn't even important that they learn in the first place. I teach college freshmen on health topics, and it so so annoying when they don't even know the basics. What I remember from high school is medicine (all of it), science, some history, and some english. The way it is taught is not as successful as it should be.

I understand where you're getting at. It really is education. For those who question and debate homosexuality, take a Safe Zone course. For those who debate Plan B, take a women's sexual health course. Debate science, please take an evolution course. Those are the three issues I've argued in the forums. And the most annoying thing is that people talk talk talk without even having the slightest of knowledge on the subject.

8. SweetiePie profile image81

Some people who are really good with math and science lack even what I would consider moderate historical understanding.  Also, I do not claim to be a science or math expert, but to be honest that is why I did not major in those subjects.  I enjoyed the astronomy courses I took in college, but these were geared towards humanities majors that had no intentions of going into these fields.  I think it is great we each have our own area of interest and expertise.  However, basic health concepts are something everyone should learn about.

1. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Basics... that's all I'm sayin. And if you want to debate on a subject, or put your two cents in then know more about the subject before you do that. Or just ask questions. But some people are too proud to do that. No one knows everything. Or course someone will know much more about one particular subject than another. I work in health. So I know much more about health and science than english and art. A girl at work didn't know who Helen Keller was. "Do you know her?" She asked me. All I'm saying is there isn't anything wrong with continuing your education. And a lot of people seem to just stop where there field ends or in college. The best way is to just ask questions of those who are more knowledgeable on the subject.

9. SweetiePie profile image81

I am a strong advocate of education and I read constantly, so I am certainly in agreement with you there.  However, how can someone not know who Hellen Keller is?  That is pretty bad as we did many projects on her even in elementary school.  She is an amazingly lady, and what a few people do not know about her is she went on to travel the world, teach other children, and read/write in several languages.

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

No objection to that, just try to make sure you actually educate her, not indoctrinate. As much as I learned about you here, I think you can make a distinction smile

11. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

The old ways were best.  Reading, Writing and Arithmetic.  Teach them that and then they can teach themselves.  Far too many people today want to set it and forget it when it comes to raising their kids.  It's not that easy.  We're talking about little people here.  Unless we want them to stay little people we actually have to spend time with them and show them through word and deed what it is to be an adult.

12. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm don't lean one way or another.  I highly believe in Education. It absolutely starts at home and continues at home while the child is in school.  Education is not just book learning, its also everyday learning, common sense, taking care of your body, learning how to cook, clean, balance a checkbook, etc.

We are very fortunate to have a program in our State called PSEO - Post Secondary Education Option.  It allowed my daughter to concurrently finish her senior year in high school and her freshman year in college - when she begins as a "Freshman" this fall, she'll go in with 46 credits & start right into her EE major.

13. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I agree that dual enrollment is cool. But I once had a situation as a RA where a student was living in the student apartments because she had enough credits to be considered a sophomore but she was not mentally ready to be living on her own. While earning some college credits while in high school is great and can prepare a student for classroom style and study habits, anything too excessive just takes away from the college experience. I also sat on a scholarship committee where a girl told me that she didn't get into an Ivy League college she applied for. The girl had a 4.0 GPA and had take over 30 college credits. But that means the school would lose out on a year of tuition sad so no acceptance. I know it sounds crazy, but this isn't the only case where a qualified student has been denied admission. Congrats on your daughter's success, she's ahead of the game! She'll do great! Need any college tips let me know smile I envy the EE students! big_smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know several kids who had 4.0, didn't go PSEO & did not get into their Ivy League school of choice.  Our daughter chose to stay at the school where she earned her PSEO credits, so it was easy.  She is ready to move out smile and into the dorms!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)