jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone know if there is a word in either sociology or anthropology, that de

1. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Does anyone know if there is a word in either sociology or anthropology, that describes the...

phenomenon of two subjects influencing each other - each becoming more like the other in the process? For example A and B influences each other, and A becomes more like B, and B becomes more like A. Thanks

2. acharltongriffin profile image39
    acharltongriffinposted 7 years ago

The phenomenon you're suggesting might reflect that of adaptation or evolving.  Adaptation, however, reflects permanent change genetically.

Check out http://anthro.palomar.edu/tutorials/pglossary.htm and good luck!

3. wingedcentaur profile image84
    wingedcentaurposted 7 years ago

Thank You Acharltongriffin

I should give a specific example of what I mean. Let me give a quote from Havana Nocturne: How the Mob Owned Cuba... and Then Lost It To The Revolution (2007) by T.J. English.

"Beyond the Big Apple, a similar purging had taken place, a violent changing of the guard that would go down in history as the Night of the Sicilian Vespers. Across the land, old-style Sicilian mafiosi were replaced by a younger generation of mostly Italian-American, Jewish, and a few Irish-American mobsters. A new kind of mob was born, based more on the philosophy of robber barons like Cornelius Vanderbilt, J.P. Morgan, Henry Ford, and the Rockefellers than on rural Mafia societies back in Sicily" (pp.14-15).

I think the mafia became more corporate and the corporate world became more gangster over the decades. This is what I mean. I'd like to know if there is a word that describes two elements acting upon each other, almost exchanging identities in the process.

Thanks again

4. Anne Burlinson profile image72
    Anne Burlinsonposted 5 years ago

Were you after the terminology 'assimilation' by any chance?

working