jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Do you prefer higher education or trade school?

1. Satire Thoughts profile image56
    Satire Thoughtsposted 7 years ago

Do you prefer higher education or trade school?

2. profile image0
    TechTrendyposted 7 years ago

Personally I like the focused curriculum trade schools gives you along with hands on approach but I also enjoy traditional courses as well.

3. wmspringer profile image60
    wmspringerposted 7 years ago

In general, or personally?

I'm currently en route to a PhD in computer science, so I think that answers the question for me ;-)

In general, it really depends on what you want to do; if you're going into a trade, you're probably better off with a trade school as you can pick up the skills you need and start making money. That said, I do believe most people can benefit from a liberal arts education.

4. knowitallofnone87 profile image57
    knowitallofnone87posted 7 years ago

My father believed that regardless of what your dreams or desires are, it is of paramount importance to get an education. It doesn't matter what it's in, so long as you have it, because the possibilities that become available to you when you have one are far greater than if you don't. So I say that it doesn't matter, so long as you go to school.

5. L a d y f a c e profile image77
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

It depends on what I'm preferring it for. (I'm assuming by 'higher education' you mean university.) I've been to both, and prefer the hands-on, personal approach in trade school over the 'welcome, number 294850560' approach to university. I prefer the level of resources available at university, but I prefer the teachers and instructors more at trade school.

I think people should go wherever their preferred profession of choice is. I think people should not let the type of education required hold them back from their dreams and goals. I suppose if could take them same thing at either educational institute, I would choose trade school.

Do you have a preference?

smile

6. AKdude profile image60
    AKdudeposted 7 years ago

Getting an education is the most important thing. For me, I prefer the higher education route. I've had friends choose trade school instead and they are just as prosperous and happy. Doesn't matter the route - determine what you want and go after it.

7. profile image49
    nancywaldenposted 7 years ago

Well, like it has been discussed, it actually depends on what line of work you wish to choose. Trade schools offer training in specific vocations. The focus here is not on education, but providing technical proficiency needed to perform a job. A great alternative to trade school for those who also want solid academic training are career-oriented degree programs offered by four-year institutions like CollegeAmerica ( http://www.collegeamerica.edu/ ) that offers Associate’s and Bachelor’s degrees in multiple fields.

8. marketingskeptic profile image72
    marketingskepticposted 6 years ago

Definitely prefer higher education. I personally love research and I don't think trade schools have enough of it, if at all.

9. profile image47
    pmpaustraliaposted 6 years ago

Well you should at least graduate before you look at a trade school.
    Source: http://www.amacademyonline.com/

10. profile image52
    inspireeducationposted 5 years ago

I believe that you should choose what type of tertiary education you undertake based on your career goals.
    For one, not everyone can attend university, the market would be over-saturated in university type jobs. And in addition, not everyone wants to go to university! On the other hand, a lot of people look at "vocational education and training"
    http://www.inspireeducation.net.au/cour … ssessment/
    as a second rate education. I could not disagree more. Vocational education and training prepares students for the real world and equips them with practical skills useful in any workplace today. Vocational education and training skills are also quite interchangeable, meaning they apply to many fields and industries. On the whole, you should evaluate where you want to be in life and choose the school on your needs - not being influenced by the opinions of others.

working