jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Does it make people feel inferior when i use more advanced words around them?

1. fallenpixie09 profile image58
    fallenpixie09posted 7 years ago

Does it make people feel inferior when i use more advanced words around them?

I am quite a bit smarter than some of the people i hang out with. Does it make them feel dumb for me to use big words around them?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I can't make out why you're comparing how smart you are to your intelligence, there is no relationship between how smart you dress and cleverness.
    Really intelligent people choose their words wisely so that the audience understands what is being said, using long, technical, or words from the profession's, 'restricted code' only when necessary.  Those who speak as if they have swallowed a dictionary for breakfast are usually showing off rather than being intelligent.

3. Charlotte B Plum profile image79
    Charlotte B Plumposted 7 years ago

Well, it depends on the intention behind your usage of such bombastic words. Very often, it is unnecessary and may only serve to alienate you from those you hang out with, especially when they sense that you are using those words to show off. It may not always make them feel inferior, it might backfire instead, hurting your friendship.

If such advanced words are used with the intent to educate, or perhaps to create humor (do explain your joke!), then perhaps it might trigger feelings of admiration and respect for you. They may not necessarily feel inferior in a bad way, but you might perhaps be inspiring them to be like you.

4. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

just from your statement about how smart you are, i'm guessing you thrive on seeming to be smart. if you were that smart , like MickS said, you would know how to talk to people in a way they can understand. knowing big words don't make you smart, sorry.

5. fallenpixie09 profile image58
    fallenpixie09posted 7 years ago

thanks for your comments. i think i phrased myself wrong before. I am not friends with the people i hang around. I was taught to talk the way that I do. I'm not showing off, and I didn't swallow a dictionary. I don't always use larger words around people, it's just that I use larger words in my day to day life. For instance, I may use the word contemplate in a conversation. I'm not using it to show that i have book smarts. I use it because it is in my vocabulary and i use it often. It's like the phrase 'yo momma', it just stuck with me when i was younger and i first learned of the word.  But like I said before, thank you for your comments! And sorry for not explaining myself better smile

6. Supercellbaebe profile image60
    Supercellbaebeposted 7 years ago

No, just perplexed, because I have to keep asking what ever 2nd word means!  My boyfriend does this to me, a lot of the time I just have to guess what he's talking about