jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why Is the Horn of a Rhinoceros Considered an Aphrodisiac?

1. Jangaplanet profile image78
    Jangaplanetposted 6 years ago

Why Is the Horn of a Rhinoceros Considered an Aphrodisiac?

2. khopkins1015 profile image60
    khopkins1015posted 6 years ago

My educated guess would be that it was seen as a falic symbol by the natives.  It is one large, protruding point afterall!

3. juniorsbook profile image75
    juniorsbookposted 6 years ago

Rhino horn the same as ‘chewing your own nails.’ Rhino horn is made of compressed keratin fibers, the same material that is found in fingernails and hair!

Some people believed that rhino horn had powerful medicinal uses, ranging in use from from stopping nosebleeds and headaches to curing diphteria and food poisoning.

In an effort to educate the public about the alleged curative properties of rhino horn, several scientific studies have been commissioned.

The study “found no evidence that rhino horn has any medicinal effect as an antipyretic and would be ineffective in reducing fever, a common usage in much of Asia.”

Testing also confirmed that “rhino horn, like fingernails, is made of agglutinated hair” and “has no analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmolytic nor diuretic properties” and “no bactericidal effect could be found against suppuration and intestinal bacteria.”

The use of rhino horn for medical purposes has been illegal since 1993. Trade continues, however. Rhino horn sells for from $ 21,000 to $ 54,000 per kilogram (2 pounds).

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com … ine_facts/

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

for the same reason that oysters and tiger penis is. it makes people think that there is something out there that will make their lovers get into them more. my aphrodisiac is breathing and a smile but maybe i'm just easy.