jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How would you feel if you were told to stop speaking your language?

1. sammyfiction profile image60
    sammyfictionposted 6 years ago

How would you feel if you were told to stop speaking your language?

How do you feel about cultural intergration?

2. KT Banks profile image60
    KT Banksposted 6 years ago

I would learn the language everyone else was speaking, or move to a place where everyone else spoke the same language as I do.

3. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I think if one moves to a place where the language is different than their native language--they need to learn the language of their new country, but also maintain their native language and culture.

I would not like being told to stop speaking my language but I would need to know more specifics as to why.  Is it a classroom setting, home setting etc.

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i'd tell them to get lost. no one is going to make me quit speaking my language.

5. sammyfiction profile image60
    sammyfictionposted 6 years ago

I believe it would make me feel angry and isolated. And a loss of a cultures identity would be lost in the space of a few generations especially if they were encouraged not to speak their native tongue. If their language had never been written down or recorded, it would be as though the people who spoke it never existed at all. It's quite sad.

6. laddriggers profile image79
    laddriggersposted 6 years ago

That would be awful.  But there are lots of people told that every day. 

I hate it when others say, "If you're going to live here, learn the language!"  I hate it because that statement doesn't take the person into consideration.  I mean, who are they talking to?  How long has the person been here?  Is he or she just visiting?  Is he or she trying to learn but afraid to speak in broken English?

People who yell "Learn English!" aren't thinking about how hard it is to learn a language as an adult and how intimidating it can be.

7. nancyme profile image58
    nancymeposted 6 years ago

I think it will make me feel angry and sad. I think i'll learn the new language but still keep on nurturing the my language and pass it on to my children. I think a language is the easiest and closest thing you can get associated with your roots.

working