How fast can an asteroid go?

1. ttagpine profile image79
    ttagpineposted 6 years ago

How fast can an asteroid go?

I understand that the recent supernova that we're watching actually happened millions of light-years ago, and we're just now seeing the light from it. Am I safe in assuming there may possibly be solid debris from the explosion? If there is, how long before some of it can come this way? Can asteroids travel at near light-speed?

2. VENZKHVAM profile image59
    VENZKHVAMposted 6 years ago

Asteroids are not asteroids now it is know as planetoids a big rock or mass of rock with no atmoshere and move with the asteroid belt . A perfectly spherical large rock will fall faster through the air than an oddly shaped, smaller and lighter one.
    As far as i know asteroids orbiting the sun, the maximum speed at 1 AU, where the earth resides, is about 41 km/sec or ~ 100,000 mph.

With proof if we speak an asteroid has an average orbital speed (how fast an object orbits the sun) of 25 kilometers per second. However, asteroids orbiting closer to a sun will move faster than asteroids orbiting between Mars and Jupiter and beyond. The closest orbiting asteroid found so far is 2004 JG6 with an approximate orbital velocity of over 30 kilometers per second. The asteroid was discovered at the Lowell observatory on May 10, 2004.

Read more asteroids in the following links. … z1YEqYC65h … =Asteroids … 0/asteroid … sun-found/ … ticle.html … s_999.html

3. ttagpine profile image79
    ttagpineposted 6 years ago

Good answer VENZKHVAM, but the wrong situation. I'm not asking about orbiting masses. I'm asking about masses created and propelled by the explosion of a super-nova.