jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Cartwheels at school ... good or bad?

1. MellyMoo profile image59
    MellyMooposted 6 years ago

Cartwheels at school ... good or bad?

Do you think our children should be able to do cartwheels, handstands etc at school, in their lunchbreak or is it too dangerous?

2. Carlon Michelle profile image71
    Carlon Michelleposted 6 years ago

I survived them.  If the school yards are kept tidy there should be no issue.  I've never seen or heard of anyone seriously injured doing them.  Slight scrapes or wounded pride at not being able to to a perfect one are the most damage I've had done.  Smile!

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

cartwheels are great exercise and fun provided they are confined to open spaces such as the playground or gym.
    Kids should be encouraged anytime they want to get exercise today.

4. Angel709 profile image60
    Angel709posted 6 years ago

With childhood obesity ever growing, I believe these activities should be allowed.  However, with the unfortunate possibility of school liability, schools may end up enforcing a disclaimer policy to cover themselves.  It's just sad things can get so "sticky" and bureaucratic when common sense and reasonable circumstances should rule the day.  Just a note: Many school do offer different types of insurance for students while they are on school property during the school year.

5. xethonxq profile image65
    xethonxqposted 6 years ago

I remember doing all sorts of activities in school as I was growing up...gymnastics, dodge ball, tackle football without pads, etc. There are always going to be dangerous games, sports and activities kids participate in. Some kids will get hurt, others will play unscathed. I think we should encourage as much physical activity as possible with children and know that sometimes they will have a boo boo (or even something serious). Hell, I broke my arm playing tackle football when I was 12 years old...it happens, but you know what I remember? I was having fun because I still got the ball! (And, yes I'm a girl). smile

6. MellyMoo profile image59
    MellyMooposted 6 years ago

Great comments everyone.  My girls got in trouble at their new school, earlier in the year, for doing cartwheels.  It is because of exactly what you say Angel709 ... liability!  Where has common sense gone these days?!  There are so many 'normal' things that I did as a kid, that my children already can't do, such as ride their bike to school, sleepover at friends' houses.  Now, they can't do cartwheels or they will get in trouble.  Whatever next!  Lighten up people I say.  Just my opinion.

7. Faceless39 profile image93
    Faceless39posted 6 years ago

If they can't handle handstands on their own, how are they going to handle high school bullies, driving, or life generally.  Wheww!

working