jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should Euthanasia be legalised worldwide?

1. retellect profile image73
    retellectposted 6 years ago

Should Euthanasia be legalised worldwide?

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image92
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 6 years ago

If you're talking about euthanasia as in should people have a means to assist them in dying, I believe everyone should have this option. People should have the ability to control both their lives and their deaths. To have condemnation for causing their own deaths for people who are in pain and who have only worsening quality of life to look forward to is inhumane. This also goes for people who are in mental pain and are condemned to that mental pain for the rest of their lives - there are forms of intractable depression and other mental illnesses where the person if still aware of how much it impacts quality of life. However, at the same time, this obligates society to having strong safeguards in place to protect the person who's life could be improved with proper medication or other relief measures. I live in Oregon, and we have legal assisted suicide. Before this was made possible here, there was a major concern among some people that it would be misused or that too many people would take advantage of it when they weren't really at an end point in their lives. That has not been the case.

3. Anthropophobia profile image88
    Anthropophobiaposted 6 years ago

Well, euthanasia is very complex and has acquired different labels like, passive, active, involuntary and voluntary and the definition and laws regarding euthanasia are very loosely defined. This is one of the problems when trying to legalise it worldwide as everywhere has different rules and criteria regarding the subject of euthanasia and agreeing on a worldwide set of criteria would be extremely hard. Also you have to take into account different countries religions and beliefs, as there are so many in the world, legalising it is guaranteed to upset or go against some peoples faiths. So no, I don't think it should be legalised worldwide.

4. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

It really doessn't mattter what you, I, or uncle Tom Cobbley thinks regarding this matter; as we don't have a world government it would be almost impossible to get every sovereign nation to agree the terms.