jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

1. JosieLee profile image77
    JosieLeeposted 6 years ago

Is is possible to know the truth without challenging it first?

2. Joyus Crynoid profile image82
    Joyus Crynoidposted 6 years ago

What a great question!  Off the top of my head I would say no, because as we develop, challenging reality is how we learn what is true and what is not.

3. MazioCreate profile image72
    MazioCreateposted 6 years ago

In my opinion you need to ask questions to find out contributing factors and to understand the view point of the "teller".  If you take a scientific stance, any truth must first be proven through rigorous investigation and on multiple occasions.  With personal subjects or interactions, I find I am inadvertantly finding the "truth" by asking questions.  This way I can make an informed decision about what I am reading or listening to.  The questions don't have to be towards a person but about the subject matter. 

Remember what is true for one person can be untrue for others.  You only have to take the ongoing and tedious debate about evolution and creationism.  Regardless of evidence etc a person's beliefs will always dictate what is their "truth".  Which takes me back to a scientific approach because it is only through rigorous investigation with an objective view can truth be established.

4. Philanthropy2012 profile image86
    Philanthropy2012posted 6 years ago

Hah, a half-trick question.

YOU can know the truth before you know it is the truth.

So the answer to your question is a resounding yes.

I could say that "I know that my shoe size is 13" without checking what it actually is. I might believe that it is the case because I was size 12 before and feel that my feet have grown a little since then.
    Only when I challenge my "knowledge" and I find out that I am indeed size 13 do I know it's the truth.

But it could be argued that my arrogant assumption, which was not based on any real evidence was after all the truth in the first place.

But that is to say that I was 100% certain of my shoe size before verifying that it was what I believed it to be.

I think that is a mental disorder.

To be certain of something you cannot be certain about is probably a mental disorder and so in answer to your question:

Yes, but only with people who are twisted enough to believe in something 100% with no basis for such a belief. (Any basis after all would have involved challenging).

Well, I hope that was in the least bit coherent, interesting question, thanks!

working