jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is omnicentricity?

1. LisaKoski profile image95
    LisaKoskiposted 6 years ago

What is omnicentricity?

I've been offered a job for a fictional writing project "devoted to the subject of creative omnicentricity." Unfortunately, I have no clue what "omnicentricity" is so I'm hoping someone can explain.

2. Africanus profile image59
    Africanusposted 6 years ago

Hi LisaKoski:
    Without looking it up in the dictionary,  I  should divide the word into its two main etymological components - Omni(Omnibus) pre-modifying Centricity to suggest the opposite of Con-centricity, a grouping around  one central point.
    Therefore, omni-Centricity like omni-Directionality suggests Dispersion.
    But depending on the context, I believe it can also connote Versatility, or the ability to concentrate on a variety of issues at the same time.

Please forgive me if I have not quite got the point.

3. unbornhumanrights profile image57
    unbornhumanrightsposted 6 years ago

Websters did not have a definition for this word. But I was able to break the word down "Omni" means "all" or "universal" "centric" means center basically "centricity" would then be the act of being centered. I would say it means the act of being the center of the universe. That is the best I could do, there was no precise definition that I could find.

4. Doc Snow profile image97
    Doc Snowposted 6 years ago

Well, you can try it in the realm of theology (although if my quick scan of the bits containing the term is at all on target, the author wouldn't like the term "realm," with its authoritarian, hierarchical connotations any.)  See here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57103033/9/In … difference

Use the 'search within the document' feature to find where the term is used in the book.

The ideas of the author--or the tiny fraction that I read--remind me of Arnold Schoenberg's term for the composition of what is usually called 'atonal music':  "Composition with 12 tones related only to each other."

What he meant was that the 12 possible chromatic tones were used in ways that did not allow them to 'collapse' into traditional key relationships, where one tone served as a center, and to which all other tones were eventually to resolve.  Rather, the 12 tones were put on a footing of radical equality, and the composition established a complex set of 'relationships' among them.

I think the author linked to intends to view reality somewhat in that manner--though she seems to be writing at such a high level of metaphysical abstraction that I'm not sure what beings are to be equal among each other.  Perhaps had I not started skimming at page 192. . .

Anyway, good luck!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57103033/9/In … difference